Aprilia/other rear end mods..any ideas?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Boofhead
On the Road

Aprilia/other rear end mods..any ideas?

Post by Boofhead »

G'day there fellow Raptor enthusiasts, I was wondering if anyone has replaced the swing arm on their bike with anything other than the usual RSVR Aprilia conversion?
I'm keeping my options open for when the time comes for my bikes rear end to be tricked up after I finish the front end.
Maybe some sort of 'truss' type swing arm may be the go to match the frame? ...any ideas?
I have seen a pic of a Rap with a Honda VFR single sided swing arm. It looked trick, but you can't use the Raps standard wheel and I like to keep my bike looking reasonably factory until you have a closer look.
If I do go down the Aprilia road, what year model swing arm do I need? Which rear shock absorber do I use, the Aprilia's or the Raps? Does the wheel base stay the standard Rap length when using the Aprilia swing arm? Does the chain line up properly? And finally, does the ride rear ride height change?

I hope someone out there can help!!
Have a great and safe new year
Cheers from Boofhead
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Aprilia/other rear end mods..any ideas?

Post by Crap Tartan »

I have not seen much else fitted to the rap rear end.
I fitted the rsv swinger a number of years ago and its fairly easy if you are reasonable able with spanners etc.
Do searches on the forum as thats where I got a lot of info and I put up pics and the story when I fitted mine.
I used an early rounded RSV swinger but apparently the later ones can be made to fit too.
After that its all variables, shock, the wheelbase is slightly shortened, the chain will line up as long as you fit it properly and use right spacers.
Ride height is dependant on shock used .........

Best of luck!
nil illigitimae carborundum
V4mp
On the Road

Re: Aprilia/other rear end mods..any ideas?

Post by V4mp »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago I used an early rounded RSV swinger but apparently the later ones can be made to fit too.
But later ones do need more work to fit
Boofhead wrote:55 years ago
I was wondering if anyone has replaced the swing arm on their bike with anything other than the usual RSVR Aprilia conversion?
I'm keeping my options open for when the time comes for my bikes rear end to be tricked up after I finish the front end.
Check out Riders + Rides and Project Polar-Raptor.
I'm making MV Agusta swingarm conversation. ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !