Raptor 1000 headlight

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
nickst4
On the Road

Raptor 1000 headlight

Post by nickst4 »

A previous owner had broken the headlight on my bike and replaced it with an (expensive) small unit with three LEDs and an LED outer ring that I'm surprised made it past an MOT inspection here in the UK. I was keen to put something nearer stock back on and have tried two aftermarket types which wouldn't fit, before finding one which does.

The thing is that the clamp positions on the Raptor are too close together to accept the general run of nominally-7" headlamp shells. You can get around this by using some outrigger brackets, but I wanted a neater look. What I found was a unit supposedly suitable for various Hondas, notably the CB900.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271790423213

This has a headlamp glass/reflector assembly nearer 6" across, and the mounts are 6.5" apart, and are perfect for the Raptor. The only problem lies in the position of the front brake hose that is fixed inboard of the headlamp supports and prevents this headlamp shell fitting comfortably. As I'd opted for a black plastic shell, it was quite easy to use a heat-gun on it and press an indent that allows the unit to fit comfortably. I also turned some eccentric bushes to position the unit a little further forward than it might have been.

The curve of the shell suits the rest of the Cagiva plastic and I hope it all looks pretty much as standard. Equipped with a Cyclops H4 LED and LED sidelamp, I'm sure the output and visibility is way ahead of OEM.

Of course, it may be that there is a better alternative round headlamp out there somewhere, but I'm happy with this one!

Nick
Attachments
P1030710 Raptor headlight small.jpg
P1030710 Raptor headlight small.jpg (204.75 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
geoff
Knight of the realm

Re: Raptor 1000 headlight

Post by geoff »

That looks great, good find and thanks for posting. :)
snapdragon

Re: Raptor 1000 headlight

Post by snapdragon »

Useful info thank you, I've looked for replacements previously hoping for a better view and wished the original deflector hadn't broken, but no use blaming the bike for my own poor night vision I reckon.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>