K and N air filter

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
andybaggies
On the Road

K and N air filter

Post by andybaggies »

Ongoing maintenance called for a new air filter, 18 months & ~15k miles old, so I splashed out on a K&N (for the TL). This was a no hassle straight fit but I have noticed a couple of changes:

- running temp is now a degree or two hotter but it is much faster increasing temperature when in town or slow filtering. To such an extent I don't always have need for Tartan's black box. Got a mite worried it might be too lean but a plug chop doesn't show signs of overheating.

- the motor feels a lot crisper and 'harder' in the mid range and is much nicer to drive but it does feel a little fluffly when cold around idle. Sometimes dies if I'm lazy when rolling up to the lights and changing down. Although the latter might just be the filter highlighting the need for a TPS/balance tune. Putting this off as numerous previous carb tuning attempts on a bevel drive Duke never seemed to end up making things better. :(

Andy B
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: K and N air filter

Post by Crap Tartan »

Setting the TPS does not require any tools but for greater accuracy use a multimeter.
I have a K&N fitted and never noticed any of the things you mentioned but I do have the "ram air" inlet tubes fitted!
nil illigitimae carborundum
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: K and N air filter

Post by andybaggies »

I have a K&N fitted and never noticed any of the things you mentioned
Hmmm, I also changed the plugs at the same time from CR9E TO CR8E that can't make a difference. Can it?

Perhaps the coolant does need refreshing then. It's only 15 years & 25K miles old. Ahem :oops: