Error code?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
rich-racing.co.uk
On the Road

Error code?

Post by rich-racing.co.uk »

Got a poorly bike again :(
Remember ages ago someone had a list of faults you could diagnose from the speedo by bridging two terminals in the diagnostics plug?

Code is coming up c00

Very bad misfire but usually only when it's up to temperature.

Any ideas?

TIA.

Rich
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Error code?

Post by Crap Tartan »

c00 is no problem/fault

the full list of fault codes are in the workshop manual, pg C.31 in the Injection sytem chapter.
nil illigitimae carborundum
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Maybe a bad ignition coil? I understand they were a weak point.

Nick
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Its possible that something is breaking down when the bike is up to temp but wouldnt expect a coil to be affected by temp?
I have never had an issue with any of mine in 10 years plus?
I would suspect a sensor giving the ECM bad data maybe, does it only misfire on one cylinder or both?
rich-racing.co.uk
On the Road

It runs on one cylinder, and then dies completely.
Can you check the coils with a multi meter?

Thanks for the replies.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

so are you saying it never runs on the second cylinder? (front or back)?
Yes you can check the coils, will have a root around on mine and get you some figures
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I only posted the query about coils (which would seem to fit the symptoms) because Carl Harrison told me about it yesterday when he cast an eye over my bike. That guy has been there and done it all, including working for Cagiva Raptor importers, and he has a memory that would make an elephant weep! There isn't a bike that I've shown him that he doesn't know the intimate details of. He confidently proclaimed that my Raptor had obviously had a new chassis, because the early ones had corrosion problems with the welds and they were replaced under warranty. Either the guy is a complete phoney or he's 150% genuine, which I'm very much inclined to believe. Anybody in East Anglia would do well to visit his one-man business in Harleston, Norfolk, especially but not exclusively for Italian bikes!

Nick
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey Nick, it is possible it could be coil related just I have never had any issues with them in 10 years nor heard of anyone else with coil problems.
As you say, the symptoms do point in that direction. I have never heard of Carl Harrison but he sounds like a useful guy to know with these bikes and I have no reason to doubt his knowledge.

Tests that can be done easily are;
coil primary winding resistance should be 3-5 ohms
coil secondary winding resistance should be 20-28 kohms
battery voltage with ignition on at primary winding should be same ish as the direct battery voltage 12.5-13.5 V
Are you getting a big, fat spark at each plug (blueish) when you turn engine over with starter (use spare plugs, conect to HT lead and earth on engine)

if everything looks ok with with coils and spark there are other tests but you need more than just a multimeter.

Beyond that you are looking to test the crankshaft position sensor as that could have an effect too.
the CPS resistance should be between 184-276 ohms (ECM connector 1, GR/BR and P/BK) also measure resistance to earth of the CPS)

Do what you can of these checks and see where that takes you.

Best of luck!
rich-racing.co.uk
On the Road

Thanks for the answers.
Bike runs fine cold, then it runs fine, or goes onto one cylinder then dies when hot.
Not for the faint hearted :woot:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I had a coil fail many years ago but it did give an error that time. But I suppose it depends if it's on the low or high voltage side as I assume the ecu can only detect a low voltage side problem. I used a Suzuki coil easier to get hold of just make sure ht lead is long enough.
Bit of a Muppet