Raptor radiator screen

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
nickst4
On the Road

Raptor radiator screen

Post by nickst4 »

I don't know if this applies to the Vee-Raptor models too, but the unprotected radiator matrix on my 1000 has always looked horribly vulnerable and, at the very least, it collects bug gunge. The radiators on almost all naked water-cooled bikes are ugly, and the manufacturers generally seem to lose interest in styling at this point. At least the Raptor rad is neatly curved rather than plank-like, but maybe it's not a good idea to draw attention to it?

I've not found any custom-fit aftermarket screens; certainly no tasteful ones I'd like to put on the front of such a quality bike, so I thought I'd make my own, using expanded stainless mesh. The makers (The Mesh Company) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131863878103 claim this particular style passes 62% of air, so I reckon that's plenty in the temperate weather of the UK. I bought an A3-size panel and cut it to size so that the sides just locate behind the lip of the left and right header tanks when it's formed into a curve. The top and bottom edge are trimmed with a rubber beading, and the screen is simply held in place by fine stainless wires pushed between the fins of the matrix and twisted together behind. No need to fabricate brackets!

The finished screen could be blown over with black paint to make it invisible but, at the moment, I'm happy with the shiny stainless look.

See what you think!

Nick
Attachments
P1030724 Raptor radiator screen small.jpg
P1030724 Raptor radiator screen small.jpg (182.36 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
snapdragon

Re: Raptor radiator screen

Post by snapdragon »

Nicely neat :thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

Very tidy, looks great. A friend recently dented all the fins on his Z1000 radiator by pressure washing his bike, something like this just might be what he needs to hide the (cosmetic) damage, cheers!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Bought mine, along with the oil cooler guard from Beowulf. It's a little garish, but as I've had two broken radiators, and a nice shiny working one, I don't care what it looks like as long as it helps keep stones from trashing it. Unfortunately they don't stop them springing random leaks or breaking in a crash :doh:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Boofhead
On the Road

Post by Boofhead »

G'day all,
I have a guard on my radiator and it's made by Rad Guard ( www.radguard.com.au ) . They are located here in Australia (my home town actually) and make guards for tons of bikes.
Raptor guards may have to be made to order, however they do make them, so I guess you would need to contact them and find out.
I would have attached a pic, but my bike is in a thousand bits being rebuilt and the guard is packed away.
The guard clips over the top of the radiator and is fixed in place by existing bolting.
I hope this is of some help
Cheers from Boofhead
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Boofhead wrote:55 years agoG'day all,
I have a guard on my radiator and it's made by Rad Guard ( http://www.radguard.com.au ) .
Cheers from Boofhead
That's certainly the best commercial guard I've seen, and I'd be tempted to buy one/a set if they listed the Raptor up front. OK, so its ten times the cost of mine (plus postage) and might be more because the Raptor has the curved rad. At least I feel that I've added a tough skin to the matrix. As it turned out, The Mesh Company supplied me with a smaller mesh-size than I ordered and are meant to be replacing it with a heavy-duty woven type, so my guard may still evolve somewhat!

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Just an update on this: I never found a better type of stainless mesh than the one I started with, (as per the pic) which is moderate in weight but very stiff. However, I realised it wasn't such a good idea to have it actually laying on the surface of the matrix so I now have it spaced-off by 5mm with rubber strips beneath. This should give it a chance to absorb stone hits without transmitting any of the shock to the matrix. It still looks as neat as before, held on by stainless wires between the fins. Job finished, I think!

Nick, waiting impatiently for the winter to pass before taking good bikes out... :revrev: