Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tyres?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Billy Big Roy
On the Road

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tyres?

Post by Billy Big Roy »

I'm looking to change the tyres on my 2001 Raptor 1000 for something more suitable to the current weather conditions, and have always been a fan of the Pilot Road 4 on the K series BMW bikes I've owned, and currently own.

Has anyone tried these on the Raptor? Can anyone suggest another make that would suit the bike?
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tyres?

Post by andybaggies »

BBR,

I've being using PR3s to great effect (& mileage) see http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 6&start=15

Not sure whether there's any need to pay more for the PR4s

Andy B

p.s. welcome in
Billy Big Roy
On the Road

Post by Billy Big Roy »

Your feedback sounds spot on Andy. I feel the PR4's are more suited to the BMW K series due to the weight of the bike, and as the Raptor weighs considerably less than a K1600GTL, the PR3's would be more suited and would make a considerable difference to the bikes handling. I just needed some feedback to confirm this, so thank you.

I have a set of tyres I removed from my K1600 after a couple of hundred miles to fit the PR4 GT's, but the rear is a 190 rather than a 180. Reading up on the difference in size seems to says that there wouldn't be a problem, the problems start when you go from a 150 to say a 190 / 200.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

but the rear is a 190 rather than a 180
Good lord, with that you may not need the sidestand :D

Joking aside I'm not sure of the physical difference in width but a quick check to see how close the chain would run might be in order.

Andy B
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

I recommend Bridgestone S21.
Excellent handling ,also at wet tarmac.
They get to working temp fast.
They don't last long,but given the other advantages they have,I don't really mind.
I'm even using them at the track and the grip is superb.