gear change assembly

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
yeah!
On the Road

gear change assembly

Post by yeah! »

Hello All !!

'been a while as work has dominated. Fortunately old faithful has been just that! Until..... I lent my raptor to a friend - who's been bike less for a while - so we could go for a ride into the country. About 10 mins and one suburb later going late around a tight corner ... sparks in my rear mirror...my poor bike!!!!!
Anyway, sniffff..big boys don't cry .... I had the Remus muffler welded and it's ridable , just quite a bit of cosmetic damage but I can't get new parts any more.
Does anyone have a - preferably new - gear lever and assembly for sale? Everything that bolts on to the end of the shaft....

Thanks guys and gals!!!!

regards yeah!
nickst4
On the Road

Re: gear change assembly

Post by nickst4 »

Commiserations! Is the friend still a friend? :? If so, you are a rider with a big heart!

Otherwise, if the gear lever is simply bent, I'd just straighten it slowly. Take it off and clamp it in a vice, put a tube over the end and start playing a blow-torch on the bent section while applying gentle pressure. You'll find that the metal starts to yield (blackening of a layer of soft soap on it is supposed to be an indication of the right temperature) and you can ease it back to shape. Caution and a light touch is necessary, and it will be best to do it in several stages because the alloy will lose heat quickly.

Good luck,

Nick
yeah!
On the Road

Re: gear change assembly

Post by yeah! »

Thanks Nick.

That's almost what I did and it's fine. But.... the other time it fell over in the driveway, it bent the lever in the same way and I've got Crash knobs on the frame. So I want to prepare for the future when it's even harder to get those easily damaged bits...

YEAH!