Stripping rattle can paint off the fuel tank

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
rich-racing.co.uk
On the Road

Stripping rattle can paint off the fuel tank

Post by rich-racing.co.uk »

After a prolonged lay-up I'm getting my Raptor back into action! :D

Got the tank off to do the fuel filter and check the pump, and while it's off I want to sort the paint out on the outside.
The numpty I bought it off rattle canned it matt black and it's crazed and flaking off so need to strip it all off to repaint.
Is it safe to use a paint stripper on the tank or is it all down to sanding it off?

Then I'll be needing paint - got a spray gun and did all my old race fairings so might give it a go - unless there's a recommendation for the reasonable pro to do the job?

TIA.

Rich.
norrie
On the Road

Re: Stripping rattle can paint off the fuel tank

Post by norrie »

I reckon you will need to sand it all off. As for painting it yourself I don't see why not. I've always painted bikes in the past but this time I had it painted at the same place that powder coated my wheels.
As for recommendations for a paint shop I could probably find out somewhere local to you as my mate stays down that way.
The other option you've got is to buy another tank.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
rich-racing.co.uk
On the Road

Post by rich-racing.co.uk »

Been looking out for another tank for a while but thin pickings.

Anybody know what the tank is made of? And any special paint needed?
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I wouldnt use any stripper on the tank, its a strange plastic and may not react well.

I would sand it back to as smooth as you want it, use a good quality filler/undercoat to give a good solid base and then paint with your sprayer!

If you have done plastics before it should be just more of the same. If you want a very shiny finish then lots of coats of laquer/light sand/ more laquer to build up the gloss
nil illigitimae carborundum