Petrol Petrol everywhere

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
rollingthunder
On the Road

Petrol Petrol everywhere

Post by rollingthunder »

Hmmpphh

Left my parking light on yesterday and killed the battery, charged it a bit managed to get the bike started and took it for a spin and all was great, went to get the bike out this morning and she wouldnt start, i assumed the battery was a bit dead so gave it a boost from a booster pack and she fire up but only ran on one cylinder and petrol was pissing out of the exhaust joints :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also the oil level in the sump is way up and it smells to be diluted with petrol, so my question is how terminal does this sound !!!!!

I'm no mechanic but even i know it's not good....

gutted! :(
rollingthunder
On the Road

Re: Petrol Petrol everywhere

Post by rollingthunder »

had a look at a few technical forums, hope this could me a stuck carb float or something.......
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

That sounds like it to me,had the same thing happen on a z550 years ago.Cleaned everything from fuel tank to the carbs,flushed the engine and put in new oil and filter.I cranked it over with the cdi disconnected and the plugs out to get the oil all round the engine and it was as good as gold from then on.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
NZraptorgirl
On the Road

Post by NZraptorgirl »

Drain the sump. Clean the needles and the bowls, install inline filter to keep the crud out and you can even put a flow switch on the fuel line if you wish. Don't start until all the above done...and new oil and filter of course.

Cheers
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

rollingthunder wrote:55 years agohad a look at a few technical forums, hope this could me a stuck carb float or something.......
Yup, stuck float. Needles, possible knackered fuel tap(this is a strong possibility)
Do not run your bike anymore. I hope you didn't run it that long. Petrol in engine is not a good thing to have. Perhaps, an engine flushing product will help, when you drop out the oil and change the filter.
Hope it hasn't been damaged along the way.

Sounds like the issue a friend of mine had a few years ago.
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php? ... ded+petrol
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

My fuel tap failed a couple of years ago, but didnt get passed the float needles.
Strange that the float needles would fail overnight. Was there much debris in the float bowls?
Might be worth dumping the fuel tank contents in case there is contamination, Im sure water in the fuel killed my level switch and tap.
The fuel may have washed oil off the cylinder bores, remove spark plugs and spin motor with back wheel to purge the cylinders.
Dump the oil and oil filter for new stuff.
Should be no harm done.

Water gets in the tank if the breather hole from the hole beneath the fuel filler lid LHS to the hose at RHS beneath footrest, gets blocked.
Insects get in my mine, it needs a regular blow through to keep clean.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

Agreed with the others that you MUST replace the oil that is now contaminated. Petrol that gets unburnt into the cylinders can easily leak past the pistons and into the cranks.

Just for my educational needs.... do the 650s have carbs and not injection? Is there no fuel pump?

I would think that this problem is unlikely on the 1000s unless I was to totally flood the engine ??
asdean
On the Road

Post by asdean »

Great fun,
I just drained 9.5 litres of oil petrol mix from the sump on a 2001 650 Raptor.
Prevoiusly I have had issues with needle and seats clogging up with crud, where the bike struggled to rev over 3000rpm, this time it appears that the vacuum fuel tap has also failed, it it was only idle for 2 weeks.
Yes I will replace the oil filter, clean out the carby bowls, needles and seats and fit fuel filters pre carb.I will also try to fit a manual tap to the fuel line.
As previous threads have suggested thanks, I hope that the engine seals are OK as this surely has presurised the crankcases, hopefully it hasn't caused any other damage.
Ohh just one more thing I cannot get the front sprocket off, WD40, 1/2" impact rattle gun 100psi, wedged timber in rear wheel, tried a 3 foot extension on a 1/2" breaker bar and just bent it. Time for a 3/4 rattle gun. Any hints would be great. 145Nm Torque, lock ring washer and red loctite what were suzuki thinking? At least the :sick: 1000 has a lower torque setting.
Thanks
Al.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

If all else fails, heat the nut up with an oxygen acetylene/propane/LPG heating torch. Be careful where you point the torch, and put the heat into the nut only(aim at the flat outside edges) and have your rattle gun ready to go. Once it's off, cool down the output shaft with water or a damp rag.

I had my bike fill up with fuel, and it was caused by faulty o-rings on the needle seats. More about it here mate, 3rd post down http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 5&start=30. There are little filters on the bottom of the valve seats, so you shouldn't really be getting crud in there, unless they've been removed.
asdean
On the Road

Post by asdean »

Thanks Guys, and Aussie Joe.
Got the front sprocket off, borrowed a 3/4" breaker bar and used maybe 400Nm of Torque 40Kg at 1m and heard a loud bang, sprocket nut undid, whereas the 1/2" breaker bar would bend.
Needles and seats are good no signs of wear, yes filters are present pre needle and seat but every 12 months I clean a lot of crud from these filters and also from the bottom of the carb bowls. I try to buy quality fuel 95 Octane only but will still fit an inline filter and inline fuel tap but will also inspect needle orings.
Thanks
Al