vibrations in the stearing while breaking

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
vdobunny
On the Road

vibrations in the stearing while breaking

Post by vdobunny »

Hello,

I'm new to the trade and own a 2001, 650 Raptor. My issue is with the breaks, more specific, I get some vibrations in the handlebar when breaking firmly. I have to mention that I have some play in the floaties ( I asked around and other riders said that I have nothing to worry about, normal play for a floating disk), there are no leaks from the fork seals, the tire is quite new (if it makes a difference :D). I have about 1 mm of "meat" left on the pads.
My big fear is that play in the disk, can someone please tel me the normal tolerance for that kind of play?

Much obliged!!

P.S. excuse the grammar, I'm romanian and it's been a while... ;)
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: vibrations in the stearing while breaking

Post by Crap Tartan »

Check wheel bearings and headstock bearings.

With only 1mm of meat you really need new pads! Check the disc thickness is in tolerance too.

Is the movement of the disc lateral or longtitudinal? It should be no more than just discernable in either plane.

Check the calipers are operating properly and that you dont have any stuck pistons giving uneven pressure when braking.

best of luck...............
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

^ as CT said above
-
also might be worth removing the discs and check the wheel where the disc meets it, make sure it's flat and has no muck or other stuff in between to push it out of true.

and welcome in by the way :)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
vdobunny
On the Road

Post by vdobunny »

Thank's for the advice guy's. I'm going to take another look an check for what U said.
It will be difficult to check the headstock bearings for now( from stand stil, if I hold the front break and push forward, I don't get any play), the play in disk's is longitudinal ( or' radial I belive to be more corect) and I just rememberd that I can hear the disc touching the pads when I'm pushing it, so it might also have something to do with uneven pad wear or' the disk's might be deformed somehow.

Again, much 10x
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Hi there,
A couple of other possibilities, although the previous suggestions are more likely --
Warped discs? Maybe there's a hairline crack in one of them. Front wheel not balanced? Is the wheel/tyre in the right way round??
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Silly suggestion... might also be worth a look at the back end ... swing arm and wheel bearings, tyre pressures front and back - the reason Im saying this is that the rear tyre on my Triump Tiger 900 went low on pressure and the front end went horible not the rear?
Twisted Tequila Sister
vdobunny
On the Road

Post by vdobunny »

shebee wrote:55 years agoSilly suggestion... might also be worth a look at the back end ... swing arm and wheel bearings, tyre pressures front and back - the reason Im saying this is that the rear tyre on my Triump Tiger 900 went low on pressure and the front end went horible not the rear?
Tomorow i'll give her a tire pressure check, just to get it out of the way ;). Thx for the sugestion.

Still I'm thinking about a new pair of discs :cry: , If U know where can I find a good deal ( within EU), even some used ones...
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I had exactly what you describe at weekend and i just tweaked the head stock bearings up a tiny bit and it`s gone.I couldn`t feel any movement between the yokes and the headstock but had looked at everything else so gave it a go with the idea that if it did nothing then i would back it off again so as not to damage the bearings with being over tight.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Ive had to change discs due to one warping, and steering head bearings due to rust damage to the upper race, if a disc is warped you will feel a slight pulsing through the brake lever at low speed.
Stay calm.
Krasi
On the Road

Post by Krasi »

Hey, neighbour!

I vote for head bearings too. Had the same symptoms last summer and changing the head bearings cured the vibration under breaking.
sneezer
On the Road

Post by sneezer »

yes i think head bearings too.. i had the same problem , tweeked them up and good as new ..
hope you get it sorted mate
on the search for better weather
vdobunny
On the Road

Post by vdobunny »

It's all good now, the bearings were ok at first glance, but I changed them anyway.
My" baby"is running smoothly 4 now.

Can anyone recomend a good oil for my change next season?

Thank's,
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

good work

I just use a good quality 10w40 semi synthetic oil

I'm not sure why I have to keep approving your last post vdobunny, the system must be playing sillybeggars
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>