Info about buying used Raptor

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Dante
On the Road

Info about buying used Raptor

Post by Dante »

Hey,i'm George and i'm new to your forum.

So I'm from Greece so you'll excuse my bad english.
Lets get to the point.

Around December i'm about to buy a bike.I've settled between Er6n(my brother ownes one,i've driven it and its very nice),Sv650(the naked one but if i dont find one,cause they are rare here i'll think about an S version) and finally cagiva Raptor 650.

I like the raptor the most out of the three,its also vary rare (which will make it more difficult to be stolen) and the upside down fork,the brembo brakes sure can't go unnoticed compared to the er and sv.

So i have some question about the raptor which is why i signed up here.
I've spent several hours searching around the net and i've seen so far that it has the sv engine.
1)Does is also has the electrics from the sv?
2)Because there is no standar dealer here i might have some issues finding parts,so i have to ask which will these be?i found out for example that the rear sprocket is fair hard to be found but a sprocket from the hayabusa fits by widening the 120mm open to 121mm.but all the engine parts are from sv so i will have no trouble finding them from the suzuki dealer.now in case of an accident ,i guess i can wait a month for something to be sent from italy(do they even have parts there?)
3)Are there standard issues or common problems i should know about?

I am thinking about this one
http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes/view/2701903/
which has 2900 km and some interesting extra,such as exhausts,gear indicator and new tires.
its the injection model.

i went over to the dealer to take a look at it and its at almost perfect condition.

So any suggestions or opinios are welcome!
Thank you in advance.
vassilis67
On the Road

Re: Info about buying used Raptor

Post by vassilis67 »

The raptor is by far the most fun bike of the three you mentioned. Better handling, firmer on the bends and generally more "bike" than the other "commuters".
You don't have to worry about parts, suzuki dealers will get you covered and of course the web is full of cagiva parts in reasonable prices.

Και τώρα στα δικά μας....εγώ έχω ένα κόκκινο του '08 με 16000 χιλ. περίπου και μηχανικά και ηλεκτρικά δεν έχει βγάλει κανένα πρόβλημα. Αν θέλεις να τα πούμε στείλε μου με PM το τηλ. σου. Μένω Θεσσαλονίκη, το μέηλ μου είναι vnal παπάκι helional τελεία gr.

Παζάρεψε την τιμή με λύσσα...αν δεν το πάρεις εσύ θα του μείνει σίγουρα.

Sorry for being rude...Welcome to the raptorchapter.
It's all greek to me....
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Thanks mate!
I've pm'ed you :wink:
Εχουμε και κανεναν αλλο εδω μεσα? :mrgreen:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Oi !

what's all this being rude in Greek in the forum :bollocking:

Behave yourselves :suspect:

:P ;)

welcome in Dante :D hope the Raptor becomes yours and is as good as it appears on the pic
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

well actually it is at that great condition as it looks!
Until recently they were sold ,new, for 3900 Euro!
They were stock models from 09,and because nobody would buy one,they had to price them so low.
Here in athens i've seen only one raptor(a couple of weeks ago)!!
Last edited by Dante on |September 25th, 2012|, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Congratulations :thumbsup:
SnappY
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Yassoo!

I've still got my first SV650, it was so much fun I bought a second. Until last year, I had both SVs and the VRaptor1000.

I was never a lover of the nakid SV, and the faired one was always damn good..which is why I never sold the first.
The Raptor though.........I've never known a bike to just mould to me, and for me to enjoy it so much.

Either bike would be a great purchase, and having got both, I'd go for the Raptor these days.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

Come on Snap, what about all these gaelic scottish celtic etc etc?
It's all greek to me....
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

vassilis67 wrote:55 years agoCome on Snap, what about all these gaelic scottish celtic etc etc?
How about we compromise with a London born Greek Cypriot with a Scottish accent?

Now that's a funny concoction :woot:
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

vassilis67 wrote:55 years agoCome on Snap, what about all these gaelic scottish celtic etc etc?

ha ha ha :lol: but at least i can mostly understand their letters/alphabet Vas, I'm useless at any 'other' version of lettering so I covered for my lack of knowledge just in case it was a naughty thing :mrgreen:
SnappY
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Not naughty, the interpreter said so :wink:
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

hey there.
Next week i m buying that one!
http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes/view/3028271/
i ll update with photos as soon as its in my hands!
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Hey guys ,about 3 weeks ago i bought my raptor finally

I bought it with 7700km on it.
Its a very nice bike and very easy to ride in traffic.its handling its amazing and the brakes too.
I replaced the tires with new bridgestone s20 kai also changed the brake fluid and the radiator fluid.the oil was changed 500km before by the previous owner so next oil change at 12000km(along with the spark plugs)
So far i have made about 1200km

I want to clean the air filter because its the 2006 model and from 2006 it has never been opened and cleaned and i think that must be responsible for my high fuel consumption(6,5-7 lt/100km)

Anything else i should have in mind?does the chain need replacing soon?because i read somewhere that its not the best one.
I am lubricating it every 500-600km
I also installed a hawk x-40 alarm which the previous owner gave(new and unused at its box)
pretty good and loud although it need a good shake in order to hit.

Sorry for my bad english again!
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

So today i removed the fuel tank to check the air filter.it was quite dirty with even little rocks inside.also under the tank some spiders had find shelter.since the filter couldnt be cleaned i bought a k&n.i checked the spark plug from the top cylinder since i removed the tank.it was black and not in really good shape.i guess because of the 6 years that has been in there.also i guess because of the bad condition of the air filter,the mixture must have been rich ,resulting to the black spark plugs.so i replaced these too.i rode it for a little and i saw some difference,it got a bit more nervous.i guess i should notice bigger difference at high speeds.also the consumption should get better.i hope it will get somewhere to 5,5-6 lt/100km