Info about buying used Raptor

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Info about buying used Raptor

Post by shebee »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Gret to see you on the road with your Raptor.. have lots of fun! :thumbsup: :ride: :ride: :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Does the bike has a rev limiter?
Because the other day it reached up to 12000rpm ,when the red begins at 10500.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

If it does I've never found it :revrev:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Congrats on the bike.
Chain, stock is rubbish , change ASAP, you can run an ally rear sprocket and save weight , the gearbox sprocket wears out faster than the rear.
Fuel consumption, I get around 45 - 55 m p gallon, or around 175 miles before the warning light comes on.
A small fly screen will also help fuel consumption.
Caning it to the red line wont help , it has a rev limiter but the sweet spot for the motor is around 7K rpm, not much to be gained by revving past 9 k.

Check the choke plungers are not sticking, next time the tank is up remove the plungers and lubricate with Vaseline.

Water can get into the fuel if the breather drain in the well beneath the filler cap gets blocked, flies like to climb in there for some reason, its easiest to clear by blowing through from the bottom end, its one of the pipes that hang down beneath the RHS foot rests.

I use semi synth oil in mine and after 47,000 miles consumption is negligible.

Keep your brake callipers clean, remove annually , pump pistons out a tad and clean with an old toothbrush, particularly the rear.

The single best mod I made to my 650 was to raise the rear with a different link, you can do this with different triangles as well, it stops the bars flapping when accelerating over bumps, also makes it more stable all round. Dont pressure wash beneath the bike ( or at all!) you will blow the grease out of the suspension triangle bearings.
Stay calm.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Thanks a lot about the advice!
Now with the changed air filter and new spark plugs I want to check if the consumption has improved.
it stops the bars flapping when accelerating over bumps
Do you mean by this that ,a annoying noise when going over bumps like a bolt moving in a glass,stops?because I have a sound like this that really gets at my nerves.

Also i read that from the 2005 and later the chain has improved.I'm saying that because I ve already have given enough money and I cant afford right now new chain and sprockets.how much will the original chain hold?
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Check the choke plungers are not sticking, next time the tank is up remove the plungers and lubricate with Vaseline.
Also can you specify where the plungers are?
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

my original 2001 chain was toast by 5000 miles, your bike is the later model it is fuel injected so you can forget about the choke plungers, just checked the pics.
Stay calm.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

ok,thanks.
Can you verify that the annoying sound is from the link that you replaced?

Now the mileage is 9500km and the chain looks good.as I said they must have improved it at the later models.I hope so...
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Not sure about the noise over bumps, better check the steering head bearings, get the front wheel in the air and see if there is any play at the steering bearing by pushing the fork back and forward.

To check the suspension linkage the bike needs to be lifted and supported so the rear wheel is able to move,
disconnect the lower shock mount bolt , then move the triangle plates around to check for play, I dont remember any noises from that area but its possible.

See this picture for info
http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M ... A-RAP-2_CE

I changed part number 44 to raise , but its cheaper to change the triangles 48 - 50,
on e bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lust-Racing-C ... 4cff77dcdc
the OEM site is expensive to buy from but the bearing sizes are useful info in case you need them. The needle roller bearings in the linkages are standard sizes.

my brake pads rattle a bit when going over bumps at low speeds , not a big deal, nothing to worry about.
Stay calm.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

The noise is coming from the back and from the area of the suspension or the chain so I dont think its something from the front.

Thats anyway I'll ckeck it!
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Looks like you have got a really good bike for the money, Dante. A bit of fettling to make sure everything is ok and you'll have a bike that will keep you entertained for ages.

Mines a 1000 and I get about 16 km/litre fuel consumption on average. I'd expect yours to be a bit better.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Something else i want to ask.
The idle speed according to the manual should be around 1300rmp right?
mine when its cold,when i switch it on,works at 2000 rpm for a couple of seconds(whick is normal according to suzuki's manual) and then stays at 1300 rpm.the problem is that the needle is not stable it goes a bit up-down.although the sound is like that the idle speed is stable.
To expain it,because you might not understand besause of my very good english,the idle speed looks stable when i hear the engine but the needle indicates that it doesnt.

Is this normal?

Also what are the symptoms for the tps to need to be checked?
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Hers a good link for TPS adjustment , its for a Suzi SV but the Raptor is the same I think
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php? ... TPS+adjust

The symptoms for the TPS needing adjustment is if the fuelling is jerky at low speeds /Revs
Stay calm.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

I'll give it a check at the next service.
What about the idle speed?
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Well I checked the consumption and its the same although i changed the air filter and the spark plugs.
What else can I check?what else can be responsible for a high fuel consumption?