Bike wont start :(

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Shwat
On the Road

Bike wont start :(

Post by Shwat »

So a couple of weeks ago the battery on my 650 just died and wouldnt accept charge, wouldnt even turn the dash/lights on. Got a new battery under warranty as it was only 8 months old. So got the battery, charged it up. Bike now turns over but it wont actually start. It is quite cold around here at the moment, but its not freezing. Any ideas as to the problem? :(
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Bike wont start :(

Post by shedmonkey »

is it making any noises like its going to fire? Give it another try then whip out a plug and see if it is wet ,if wet its an ignition prob if dry its a fuelling prob. Did anything strange happen when battery died?
Bit of a Muppet
Shwat
On the Road

Post by Shwat »

No it was fine one day when I rode it home from work. 2 days later it wouldnt even turn the lights/dash on. Charged it up but 3 cells had failed on it. Its only making the turning over noise and a slight woof from the exhausts
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

The slight woof from the exhaust is it probably trying to fire. I would still be tempted to pull a plug out and have a look it may just be flooded. Or try squirting some bradex damp start down the intake if you can get air filter off all the better.

edit -- sorry should have said bradex easy start
Bit of a Muppet
Shwat
On the Road

Post by Shwat »

Would WD-40 do the trick? Was gonna take the tank off today for it but it started to rain :|
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

wd40 is good for removing water from electrical equipment and as a light lubricant. Bradex easy start is a volatile liquid that evaporates in the inlet and is extremely combustible so if you have even a slight spark it will probably fire.

If you can get a plug cap off push a spare plug in and hold against the engine while trying to start and see if it sparks(be careful the energy from the coil is very high and can be dangerous so hold it by the plug cap and wear rubber gloves)
Bit of a Muppet
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

If 3 cells died it may well not have enough 'oomph' to turn it over and start it up even if it is recharged - if you can get another battery on to jump start it and it goes then its new battery time.
Twisted Tequila Sister
Shwat
On the Road

Post by Shwat »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agowd40 is good for removing water from electrical equipment and as a light lubricant. Bradex easy start is a volatile liquid that evaporates in the inlet and is extremely combustible so if you have even a slight spark it will probably fire.

If you can get a plug cap off push a spare plug in and hold against the engine while trying to start and see if it sparks(be careful the energy from the coil is very high and can be dangerous so hold it by the plug cap and wear rubber gloves)
Do I have to remove the radiator for this?

And yea I already got a new battery but it still wont fire.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

The front cylinder plug you have to undo the radiator brackets but not the hoses, and the rear cylinder you can get at it by undoing the tank front bolts and lift the tank. (thats on the 1000 anyway) The battery isnt on the wrong way round is it? as it would still light up the lights and maybe even turn the motor over backwards (but never tried it)
Bit of a Muppet
Shwat
On the Road

Post by Shwat »

No I dont think so lol. Will check later anyway. Is there an easier way to remove the black rubber tank protector? :oops:
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

Do yourself a favour and take her to a professional.
It's all greek to me....
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

make sure the "new" battery is fully charged, before going any further.
Stay calm.
Shwat
On the Road

Post by Shwat »

Fully charged yep. And it is new, seen him but the acid in myself :)
Im gonna check the plugs, if its not that then Ill just have to take it to the garage :(
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

If it was running OK before the battery died it should run fine with the new one.
Has your bike got carbs ( early Rap ) or is it fuel injected / later model?

In your first post you say "It turns over a bit", suggesting to me any way that it was struggling, or am I reading too much into it.

Your bike needs three things to run, sparks, fuel and compression.

If the plug test shows a spark, and assuming compression is OK, then that leaves fuel.
Let us know if you have sparks OK first, and whether it is injected or carbs.
Stay calm.
Shwat
On the Road

Post by Shwat »

Well I got it fixed. Turns out the tank was 1/3 full of water