Rear Brake and Speedo woes/ PARTS

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
icameisawiconcur
On the Road

Rear Brake and Speedo woes/ PARTS

Post by icameisawiconcur »

Hello,

I'm new to the 650 raptor having bought one only a week ago, however I have already had my first problem.

Whilst riding yesterday, the rear brake locked up and ended up cracking the disc. Now the brake isn't even engaging. I see others on the forum have had similar problems in the past. Whilst this definitely means a new disc and may aswell add pads to that, what would else would you guys recommend me doing?

In having the brakes seize, I now no longer have a working speedo also. I assume its the sensor near the rear brake that is damaged? anyone else have any ideas?

SO... I NEED PARTS, well a new rear disc and a speedo sensor. Anyone know where the cheapest place in the UK for these parts?

Cheers
pod
On the Road

Re: Rear Brake and Speedo woes/ PARTS

Post by pod »

Ive had my share of brake woes, if the brake stuck on there is a very good chance that you need a new master cylinder and maybe new rear calliper. I am pretty sure there was some sort of type fault with the original as fitted master cylinders since so many owners have reported this fault.

The original rear discs were very prone to cracking, I had two fail, the pattern wavy style i now have has lasted well, i think i got it from demon tweaks.
The master cylinder is fairly common and available at a reasonable price from Brembo dealers, the rear calliper is also shared by Aprilia Milles , cheap 2nd hand on ebay.

The speedo pickup is unique to the 650, the 1000 has a different type, and NOS replacements are not cheap, you may get lucky on e bay or someone here may have a spare.
Stay calm.
icameisawiconcur
On the Road

Post by icameisawiconcur »

Cheers pod!

Will probably add the master cylinder to my shopping list then. Hopefully the caliper will live on.

speedo sensor is going to be £125... jeeeeez
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I had a simillar problem with my back brake a strip clean and new fluid did the trick .Take the sprocket cover off and have a look first to see if all looks well in there.
Bit of a Muppet
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

On the thou the speedo pick up lives behind the sprocket cover , not so on the 650 it is part of the rear calliper bracket. It is worth checking the speedo pickup wires where they join the main loom behind the RHS side panel beneath the fuel tank, check the connector block has no corrosion.

I think I wrecked my speedo pick up with careless paddock stand use.
Stay calm.
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

The speedo sensor is the same with the aprilia mille tuono etc.- not exactly the same- but it 'll do.
It's all greek to me....