320mm brake discs

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Dante
On the Road

320mm brake discs

Post by Dante »

Do we know which 320mm brake disks fit to the raptor 650?
I m thinking of fitting 320 disks and a radial master brake pump to improve the braking
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: 320mm brake discs

Post by Crap Tartan »

as the wheels are same for the 650/1000 then whatever brakes fit one will fit the other.

Are you looking to change calipers too?
nil illigitimae carborundum
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Dante wrote:55 years agoDo we know which 320mm brake disks fit to the raptor 650?
I m thinking of fitting 320 disks and a radial master brake pump to improve the braking
You cant fit 320mm discs without modifications.
There is no "same specs" 320mm discs on the market.
Nearest is this one http://www.braking.com/catalogue/dettag ... colo=STX01 same dimensions except it has bigger inside diameter than original disc, easily fixed with spacer ring.
Disc also has different offset which means disc wont fit in the center of the caliber.
And because new disc is 320mm instead of 300mm you have to make spacer which moves caliber outwards. Spacer should also fix offset problem. This is how it goes with original stuff.

I say get new front end from other bike which has radial calibers which Raptor dont have.
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

As others have said it isn't just an issue of switching discs. I *thought* the Aprilia RS250 had the same fronts, as the 1000s at least, but perhaps internal diameter is different?

Don't you have OEM Brembo discs and callipers? Have you tried changing the brake fluid and fitting a decent set of sintered pads?
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Brake fluids were changed last years.
Pads ,also last year with the stock brembo,but next time I ll replace them with EBC ,because the brembo ones,are not really good.
I have though about replacing the front end but the cost is a bit high,and I was thinking about a more economical solution.
The master cylinder however will get replaced once I find a bargain
One month ago I found a used one from a gsxr ,which costed 50E but I was a bit tight and couldn't afford it.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

personally i find the stock brembo front and rear very adequate stoppers and i also like the idea of keeping my bike near original. On my sv1000 i fitted a gsxr front with r1 radial brakes, they were awesome. The only way i know you could fit largers discs apart from full front end/rim swap is to make or buy a bracket that fits where the calipers fit to space it out. I did this on a sv650 2 pots to fit the larger 1000 4 pot calipers but i didnt really like the idea of doing this? Perhaps someone makes these spacers for our bikes to fit larger discs ?
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

I also think that the calepers are ok.
I just need more braking power! :revrev:
I ll start with better pasds and new fluids,then I ll replace the master cylinder and if I still want more,I ll look for 320 discs
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

good quality pads and new fluid bled properly should be more than enough if the bike is standard and not dramatically increased the power?

I take it you have SS brake hoses fitted?
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Dante wrote:55 years agoI also think that the calepers are ok.
I just need more braking power! :revrev:
I ll start with better pasds and new fluids,then I ll replace the master cylinder and if I still want more,I ll look for 320 discs
Raptor original calibers are non-radial and changing them to radial ones could make a difference not to mention monoblocks... :evil:
But that is allready offtopic.
What I've heard and read radial master cylinder itself doesnt make braking better, it just takes less space. Correct if I'm wrong.
You should try different kind of pads. Just changing pads can improve braking power and feel a lot.
And like I said before if you want really good braking power and do it "right" save some money and buy whole new front end.
After all its not so big investment and its worth every penny !
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

The master cylinder will be replaced to give me a better feeling on the braking.
As for the monoblock radial calipers...
I've riden a 848 streetfighter.
Damn those brakes where unbelievable.The feeling was like you were pushing the pads with your fingers and the power was like dropping anchor.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Another big difference is race line setup, twin lines one to each caliper straight from the master .
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Does this really make a diffence?At least noticable?
And at what?Stopping power or braking feeeling?
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

decent quality brake lines make a huge differance to power and feel,

all race set-ups use a single line from MC to each caliper so a constant single pressure is at each caliper.

The combination of these (never mind the improvements gained by the right type pads) will give improved power (pressure), more consistent braking (single feed) and better feel as there is less pulsing/ fluctuation due to expansion of brake line when under pressure.

Then make sure its bled correctly with fresh, good quality brake fluid!

TBH unless you are racing bikes, these simple and comparatively cheap upgrades are more than enough.

Such things as radial MC/ larger diameter discs/ upgraded calipers should be seen as more psychological factors and are only measurable improvements when applied to racing.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

I mean the difference between the setup with the lines starting from the master cylinder and from splitting after,just like the raptor's lines are.
Would there be difference if I was to put lines straight from the MC to each caliper?not that I'm thinking of doing it but I'm asking from curiosity :mrgreen:
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

YES! two seperate lines from the MC to each individual caliper will improve overall braking performance especially if those lines are new and good quality (SS not rubber) to reduce expansion.