320mm brake discs

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Spyke
On the Road

Re: 320mm brake discs

Post by Spyke »

V4mp wrote:55 years agoQuote from another Italian manufacturers forum.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wis ... nders.html
Conventional (Axial) vs. Radial Master Cylinders, worth reading :wink:
Thanks V4mp for posting this link, I finally got round to reading it today! Interesting to see:
Keep in mind however, changing your stock master cylinder to an aftermarket radial design will NOT give you more braking power to help you stop sooner.

A radial master cylinder with a different piston diameter and/or lever fulcrum-to-piston distance will only change the feel of the brakes at the lever. So keep in mind that Ducati chose a master cylinder size to give you the best modulation characteristics (feel, sensitivity and control) for your bike.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

i dont think bigger discs are a good idea, they will slow down the turning of the bike and increase the unsprung mass.
I fitted a radial MC to my 650 ages ago, it does improve feel, in order to use the stock lines I needed an adaptor and a banjo fitting bolt with a brake light switch.
I have no issues with the stock brake lines , on the rap they are very well made. Although they may be suffering from corrosion at this age, the actual flexy parts are well armoured and not spongy like the rubber balloons fitted as stock to some bikes
EBC pads are good, likewise a complete strip of the brake callipers is a good thing if the fluid hasnt been changed regularly, my LHS caliper was dragging slightly , I found water around the inner lower brake piston seal which was causing the piston to corrode pushing the seal out, and that was with annual fluid changes.
Stay calm.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

pod wrote:55 years agoi dont think bigger discs are a good idea, they will slow down the turning of the bike and increase the unsprung mass.
I fitted a radial MC to my 650 ages ago, it does improve feel, in order to use the stock lines I needed an adaptor and a banjo fitting bolt with a brake light switch.
I have no issues with the stock brake lines , on the rap they are very well made. Although they may be suffering from corrosion at this age, the actual flexy parts are well armoured and not spongy like the rubber balloons fitted as stock to some bikes
EBC pads are good, likewise a complete strip of the brake callipers is a good thing if the fluid hasnt been changed regularly, my LHS caliper was dragging slightly , I found water around the inner lower brake piston seal which was causing the piston to corrode pushing the seal out, and that was with annual fluid changes.
+1 bigger is not necessarily better imho my bike was pretty much stored in a shed and not ridden much so the brakes just needed some new fluid. A little corrosion around the banjos but nothing much ,the standard set up really does work well, far better than the suzukis non radials i have had in the past. I really like the brakes on this bike , they compare well with the r1 monoblock calipers i had converted to on my last bike.
Pratz
On the Road

Post by Pratz »

Only need 3 things... change dot4 fluid (motul 660factory is best one), some sintered pads and a radial master cylinder... I bought brembo's 07bb19sa (road sintered) and oh dam... they are awesome!