Side stand

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
4nt
On the Road

Side stand

Post by 4nt »

Last edited by 4nt on |April 28th, 2015|, 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Side stand

Post by shebee »

Ooops! Mine sits quite upright as well , has it been lowered at all? Cos that would compound the problem , on the plus side, whilst its lying down its easier to change the filter ;) xx

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

[quote="shebee"]Ooops! Mine sits quite upright as well , has it been lowered at all? Cos that would compound the problem , on the plus side, whilst its lying down its easier to change the filter ;) xx

Ha thanks. I just stood looking at it and though I may as well take a pic. No, I don't believe it's been lowered. I have never used a side stand so procarious. Still doesn't excuse me managing to tip it, that's just dim witted.
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Ouch. :shock:
What I want to know is what the hell are you doing with an angle grinder to change your levers? :?
Mine sits ok on the stand but check to see if the forks have been dropped through the yokes at all. When I bought my bike the forks had been dropped and the rear spring preload was wound right off as it was a small lady that had it before. :lol:

Did you do much damage?
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

yup, I've got used to carefully checking the parking angle, however the opposite does catch me out, today I got stopped at a road block (due to road repair) on a steep hill and had to
1. turn in a farm track
and then 2. park on a steep section while waiting for trucks to manoeuvre
so 3. she was so far over in the small space and jammed against the verge I couldn't lift her back up off her stand so had to get help from the lads blocking the route :nod:

sometimes it's good being vintage - I've been embarrassed by experts already so this was not a problem
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

[quote="norrie"]Ouch. :shock:
What I want to know is what the hell are you doing with an angle grinder to change your levers? :?
Mine sits ok on the stand but check to see if the forks have been dropped through the yokes at all. When I bought my bike the forks had been dropped and the rear spring preload was wound right off as it was a small lady that had it before. :lol:
Last edited by 4nt on |April 28th, 2015|, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoyup, I've got used to carefully checking the parking angle, however the opposite does catch me out, today I got stopped at a road block (due to road repair) on a steep hill and had to
1. turn in a farm track
and then 2. park on a steep section while waiting for trucks to manoeuvre
so 3. she was so far over in the small space and jammed against the verge I couldn't lift her back up off her stand so had to get help from the lads blocking the route :nod:

sometimes it's good being vintage - I've been embarrassed by experts already so this was not a problem

That sounds a right situation to find yourself in. In a film you'd have simply jumped 50feet over the trucks and landed it no issue....
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Oops! Think i have spare brake pedal if needed. Sure its same as the 1000? May even have a standard brake lever......
nil illigitimae carborundum
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Hopefully the oggy knobs will have saved some
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

My stand seems OK, but I ALWAYS park in first, facing up any hill, to save her rolling forward and off the stand - seen too many bikes roll off the stand in petrol stations.

It sucks to hear your tale of woe - but at least you've got the first drop out of the way and without catastrophic damage by the sounds of it, you can look forward to never dropping her again, hopefully!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

4nt wrote:55 years agoThat sounds a right situation to find yourself in. In a film you'd have simply jumped 50feet over the trucks and landed it no issue....
:lol: :nod: or headed off down the farm track and jumped the river further down :revrev:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoOops! Think i have spare brake pedal if needed. Sure its same as the 1000? May even have a standard brake lever......
Cheers, actually all that was needed was a little gentle persuasion of the brake pedal then flattening off some scuff marks and it's just fine.

Otherwise just dented pride.

Thanks.
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoHopefully the oggy knobs will have saved some

Quite right, well that is if you mean crash bungs?? :o
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoMy stand seems OK, but I ALWAYS park in first, facing up any hill, to save her rolling forward and off the stand - seen too many bikes roll off the stand in petrol stations.

It sucks to hear your tale of woe - but at least you've got the first drop out of the way and without catastrophic damage by the sounds of it, you can look forward to never dropping her again, hopefully!
Thanks, I'm still angry with myself. But, like you said I've got it out of the way now.

I still think it sits precariously steep on the stand, never had one like it. Desperate to see another raptor parked up and see if mine has some kind of issue.