Help for engine guards.

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Re: Help for engine guards.

Post by Aussiejoe »

You'll find the site is getting swamped by Aussies Amber, so is it time to post some selfies??? :blush:
My girl and I in our Cagiva caps with the Cagiva curtain/flag in the background...and the little guy in the middle is Hypo the Sock Puppet!
IMG_20140815_211849_858.jpg
IMG_20140815_211849_858.jpg (249.34 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
and my favourite pic of me with my Raptor doing what it does best!
riding.jpeg
riding.jpeg (241.19 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Was looking at your pic of you checking your tie-downs Ozz, don't know if you're aware of it, but I transport bikes up and down the East Coast, and just thought I'd mention a few things about your methods. Go down to your local Harley dealer and ask them for some of the straps they get that are used to tie bikes down in the crates for shipping(if they're selling a few of they should have some lying around, Yamaha use the same one but you need a 19mm spanner to tighten them). They're about 2 metres long and about 25mm wide with a rachet at the end(see pic below). The way you tie your bike down compresses the suspension and when you hit a big bump they'll come loose unless the suspension is fully compressed which puts a lot of pressure on seals. Instead of going off the bars and rear footpeg bracket put those 25mm Harley straps around the bottom of your forks and over the axles front and rear and that way you won't compress the suspension and the bike will travel on it's own suspension. The straps you have in the middle around the frame are a good idea and take that last bit of wobble out of them. I've transported a lot of very expensive bikes ($250 000 worth of Harleys at a time) over some very rough road and never had one fall over or get damaged. Have a look at the pic below mate, shows a couple of cruisers on my truck, and a middle strap on a heavy Harley attached to a foot board. Everyone that sees the way we tie bikes down, adopt our methods.
bike tie down.jpg
bike tie down.jpg (138.03 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Thanks for the tips joe, yeah the guys that loaded the bike strapped her down :oops: i added the 2 yellow ties about halfway home, after i found the bike was getting a bit loose. The forks were compressed but only about halfway . Helps when you have done a few bike before :happyhappy:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Nice travelogue Amber, thanks for the write up. I'm like you and usually take the photos, but I will try and get some faces to put with the names next time we do a subchapter meet, we should be due one of them soon!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
AmberII
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: https://www.facebook.com/Amber

Post by AmberII »

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Hi ozzraptor, hope you have a great time now in meddle of the season in Australia. I’m little jealous, because we here have a little bit of snow.

@ Aussiejoe
I find a selfie with the training motor for the license.

Also some pictures of me, made by a friend.

@ Spyke
Hope to do this meeting soon. Unfortunately in Bulgaria we are a few Raptor owners. I know only one. He reach me via this forum, which was great.
Last edited by AmberII on |January 10th, 2015|, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reading a book gives us somewhere to go when we stay where we are!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

HEY i look like george clooney (if you drink 10 pints and are a bit short sighted)

welcome Amber your country looks very nice
Bit of a Muppet
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Help for engine guards.

Post by shebee »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoHEY i look like george clooney (if you drink 10 pints and are a bit short sighted)
That reminds me of a old review of the 535 virago ..." Looks like a harley from the right angle ... if the light is bad and you squint"

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoHEY i look like george clooney (if you drink 10 pints and are a bit short sighted)

welcome Amber your country looks very nice

10 Pints? :blink:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Everyone looks like george clooney to me up this close!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoEveryone looks like george clooney after 10 pints!
Fixed!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.