Dropped bike, interesting faults

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
pod
On the Road

Dropped bike, interesting faults

Post by pod »

While pretending and failing to be Sammy Miller I dropped the bike at walking speed on a washed out track, The LHS switch cluster / chock lever took a dunt and the dip switch and choke cashed their chips in. Clutch lever snapped as well.
luckily the bike was still rideable but the low speed running was a bit strange.

Got some new bits on ebay, the new clutch lever is now doglegged and matches the brembo brake.
Found that the low speed fault was caused by the front pot choke hanging up at the siamese bit. Now AOK, rebalanced carbs and fitted new air filter as well.

The switch was rebuilt using bits from a 2001 SV650 cluster, which would have been a straight swap except for the 2 pin connector for the clutch switch which was different, I robbed the guts out of the new one and restored my original. Cheap fix, £10 for the lever , £20 for the switch.

There is a wee dent in the LHS can to remind me to act my age in the future.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
snapdragon

Re: Dropped bike, interesting faults

Post by snapdragon »

:) so that's act your own age, not Sammy Miller's?? :wink:

yeh, glad you've got the bits back together, I've found mending 'everything' causes a new drop so I now keep the wounds on show
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

[Hic!]

After two pints of iced tea I don't understand the "front pot choke hanging up at the siamese bit" part.

But any acco that is mainly a learning experience is a comparitively good acco, so I'm glad about that part.
(That's Aussie for accident, by the way, Down Here we put "Oh"s on the end of words to colloquiolise them, instead of the "ay" I'm used to, so instead of John becoming JohnAy it's JohnOh)
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

the choke cable enters a splitter box just above the front pot, two cables come out , one for the front carb, one for the rear.

The front carb cable outer had popped out of its socket in the splitter box. Causing the front cylinder to run rich all the time, upsetting the carb balance and making the idle speed very high.

Does that help?
Stay calm.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ah yes, makes perfect sense now. In my drunken stupor I wasn't sure if "pot" was engine cylinder or brake caliper cylinder, at the time it seemed feasible that "choke hanging" and "siamese" were some new-fangled terms that hadn't made it to the colonies as yet. It's always nice to understand what experiences you lot have so I can try to learn from them, so today's shed time may be spent working out whether my 1000 has siamese parts too, sounds like a great adventure to work off the hangover. I *don't think* it has, but I'm prepared to find out.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.