Tyre advice

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Battybri

Tyre advice

Post by Battybri »

My 2008 Raptor 650ie - with only 5000km is still seemingly fitted with its original Pirelli Diablos which are a bit worn on the back and the front is starting to show signs of age with a few hairline cracks etc. I reckon it is time for a new pair, but was wondering if anyone had any advice what to replace them with - would you stick to Pirelli? The Angel GT's look like they offer good value/mileage

I'm not a particularly harsh rider - mostly commuting and breakfast runs, I avoid riding in the wet, don't do track days etc. so I don't think I have pushed any set of tyres to the limit in all my bike riding years.

Thanks in advance :happyhappy:
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Tyre advice

Post by Crap Tartan »

That sort of use does not warrant anything fancy to be honest.
If wet use is not a concern then go for something thats got good mileage and gets warmed up pretty quickly.
I would just look around at whats on offer and take the best deal you can find.
After all you dont need all the extra grip that fancy race type rubber gives.................
nil illigitimae carborundum
Spyke
On the Road

Re: Tyre advice

Post by Spyke »

I was under the impression that OEM rubber was Bridgestone, but maybe not on the 650s. I'm very happy with the Bridgies on my '04 Xtra, the recent T30s that replace the old BT23s give me a stupidly large number of miles under normal load. Sports/touring tyres are better for me than the super sticky ones as I always run out of rubber in the middle first. :oops:

See http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... t30#p32567
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.