Let's talk about exhausts

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
natey
On the Road

Let's talk about exhausts

Post by natey »

G'day! greetings from Australia, I thought id sign up as I have just purchased a Cagiva 650 and would like to learn a thing or two about them and have some questions of my own.
Now down to business, the stock exhaust is way too quiet for my liking and I want my neighbours to go "what the hell is that" when I get her started. What is the best exhaust for me to purchase? obviously performance is a big issue but mainly I would like to hear the bloody thing over 100km/h. I appreciate all feedback and suggestions, thanks guys.
geoff
Knight of the realm

Re: Let's talk about exhausts

Post by geoff »

Welcome to you, the stock cans are quiet, and heavy, but I don't think you will get much power gain from a change.

Mine is the 1000, and research sugests there are no great gains in end can change, though I stand to be corrected, and would like to lose some weight and get a gentle burble from an exhaust change too. :)
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

would like to lose some weight and get a gentle burble from an exhaust change too
Same here.

I've spent many a web cruise looking for replacement exahusts and Crap Tartan summed it up best when he said finding the can is the easy part it's the link pipe thats tough. Especially on the left avoiding the chain run.

The closest i've seen is from MTC exhausts (1000 only) but from what I can make out the link pipes aren't clamped to the mounting points just aft of where it connects to the down pipes - http://www.maxtorquecans.com/cagiva-raptor I've recently had to have one of these welding due to a crack so I suspect this is a vibration point in the system. Probably easy enough to fabricate some sort of bracket but perhaps not what you want to do after spending 400 sovs or so.

And they never fit closely to the hanger either... all a bit aftermarket. Or is that just me :oops:

Andy B
natey
On the Road

Post by natey »

Thanks for the input fellas, performance im not too worried about as i assumed i would'nt get much just from changing the cans. love the sound of these badboys but cannot find them on the web for the life of me :(
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

We run little Danmoto's on the 650 race bike. Sounds great. Just pay more for the titanium ones as the clear over the carb cracks easily.

Danmoto don't make one specifically for the raptor - so just search for any 600/750/900 model Ducati monster. Might need some link pipes made up and exhaust hangers.
bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

They look lovely Bazz, they do low level pipes too....are they reasonablet on noise, or raucous? :)
bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

VERY LOUD :evil:
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

G&G exhaust are pretty good.
With baffles aren't so loud either... But best (and the loudest) sound of course without them. ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I made these a couple of years back as couldnt find anything I liked within budget.

Not fitted anymore as they are too loud for my baby daughter when she is in the sidecar!

nil illigitimae carborundum
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I've Leo Vince race cans on my 1000. I like the sound of raising hell in quality format. :dance:
Sadly they don't do them for the Raptor anymore, shame, as they're awesome.
I also bought some Road legal Leo's for my husbands zzr14. And they're a bit like a B52 bomber flying past :revrev:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
natey
On the Road

Post by natey »

Thanks for the input guys!, those G&G ones look right up my alley. I've sent them email but no reply so far :( is the company still going or am I getting blood out of a stone?
Arkivet
On the Road

Post by Arkivet »

Anyone heard of the brand Ultimate Exhaust?
Can't find anything if I Google the brand.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ca ... e&_sacat=0

What's the difference between carbon and titan? When i listen at some videos on Youtube, i think I hear a more deeper tone from Titanium slip-ons. And clear coated carbon might crack or turn yellowish.

I considering these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POT-DECHAPPEMEN ... xy0NtTDGUA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POT-DECHAPPEMEN ... xyYSdTDF8a
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POT-DECHAPPEMEN ... xyYSdTDKmn

My Ebay messed up then I was supposed to place a bid on these: :angry:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leo-Vince-SBK-O ... 7675.l2557

But maybe is was for the best, I'm more into the modern look like the Ultimate Exhaust above.

Anyone has any tips what I should get for my V-Raptor 1000? I want a really deep tone.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

You can change the exhaust note and gain power with a cam swap, this wont upset your neighbours much but it will add power and get rid of the two C50s having a playfight in their pyjamas note. New inlet cams are fitted from an FI SV650, , the old inlets are used to replace the exhaust cams, retiming is needed, not for the bolt on goodie type. Power goes up about 6 bhp.
Cost the same as a horse frightener system, but doesnt alert the police of your imminent arrival.

Difference between carbon and Ti goes like this , you can have cheap, strong or light, pick two.
Carbon is a poor choice of material for a can, not crashtastic, fades in the sun. Ti is ridiculously expensive. The stock cans will take a drop with light scars and are beautifully made, i doubt if many other bolt ons will take a drop as well.
Stay calm.