speedo sensor

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
ozzy
On the Road

speedo sensor

Post by ozzy »

my speedo snsor is dead. it seems this part is no longer made, does anyone know where to get one or of a work around using something off another bike. the 650 take readings from rear disc, so 1000 rap no use and the suzy sv650 from front wheel so no use.
thanx in advance for any replies and help
Dante
On the Road

Re: speedo sensor

Post by Dante »

I think that it matches from some aprilias,like tuono and rsv.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

These are slightly different sizes but should do the job with a spacer so it doesn't stick too far in, and something around the bit that goes in the hole as it is slightly smaller diameter than the original. Only thing is the electronic side of things, might have to ask someone with electronics knowledge if it'll work. https://www.ifm.com/gb/en/product/MX5017
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

ozzy
On the Road

Post by ozzy »

thankyou guys. emailed MV augusta. they dont do cagiva spares for non current models. however they were very helpful and sent me the email address for historic spares. if you contact them in english they are slow but do reply. if you speak italian faster response.
info@somaschinimoto.it
new sensors are available, 170 euros. with the the pound to euro exchange rate being poor at moment with postage its around £170. so going to try a used aprilla one or ducati as suggested first off ebay. will post results
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Any news on this Ozzy?
Twisted Tequila Sister
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

i have one of an Aprilia mille 2003...It's the same thing as far as electronics but it is a mirror of the cagiva one. You have to take care of the cable routing. i will post a pic if i'll remember how to do it.
It's all greek to me....
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

It's all greek to me....
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Hi,
Anyone can confirm what sensors matches with the stock?
At least the cylinder as the plug can be modified to match.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Could try a Honeywell GT101 hall effect sensor. the measurements are pretty much the same dimensions, but the cylinder is longer, so would need some sort of spacer to keep it clear of the caliper bolt that it picks up off.
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/magnetic ... s/2355706/
Here's a wikipedia link that explains how hall effect sensors work https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Well I got a new one from leonelli.
It was with a different plug as they didnt have the same one so I made an adaptor. Other than that,its the same.
But the bad thing is that I dont have speed readings even with the new one. So now I have to figure whats wrong...
The old one would stop working sometimes when it got wet but usually after a few minutes it was ok.
But one time it never recovered. So any suggestions on what I should check now?
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Only guessing here, but these things need power to work, unlike magnetic reed switches. Therefore you need to check the power supply and the earth. One or other of those is the likely culprit for the symptoms you describe. If so, it might also mean that your old one is perfectly OK!

Nick
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

nickst4 wrote: 4 years ago Only guessing here, but these things need power to work, unlike magnetic reed switches. Therefore you need to check the power supply and the earth. One or other of those is the likely culprit for the symptoms you describe. If so, it might also mean that your old one is perfectly OK!

Nick
Well,it turns out that you were correct.
I measured the plug that goes to the speed sensor and the voltage was 4,7V instead of 12V.
So it seems that it's not the sensor at fault but something else.
Now I have to figure out what.
I think that the sensor is connected to the dash,so maybe a capacitor there is faulty or something else.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I don't like the sound of that 4.7v. What age is the bike? I ask because some newer machines send out voltages around 5v to items you'd expect to need 12v to work. This is the case with my Ducati Hyperstrada 821, but that's a 2013 model. I wouldn't have thought even the latest 650ie Raptor would be like that but a lot of electronics use 5v, so your speedo sensor may simply be part of a circuit.

There must be someone who knows but, failing that, I could put a test meter on our 650ie speedo sensor and see what it says.

Nick
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

It s 2006 650 IE. It should be 12 volts as I found the sensors brochure and it mentions it.
Also I have the service manual and claims the same.
So it should definetely be 12 volts.