Tacho problem.

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
Stx

Tacho problem.

Post by Stx »

Hi all!

So i recently bought a 650 raptor (2001) and the tacho is not working (speedo and rest is ok). I hoped it might be a connection, but could anyone describe me in a bit of detail what i actually have to check and where to start?

Thanks for any feedback :)
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Tacho problem.

Post by shebee »

Apologies for the delay in approving this post, i didnt get a notification that it was waiting :(

Oh and welcome in!
Twisted Tequila Sister
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Welcome in mate, I've got the same model as you, but it is fully disassembled at the moment as I'm going to restore it. If you need any help or pics of anything, let me know.

Check the thin wire and terminal that goes to the front coil, the tacho is run off it. You'll have to lift the tank to get to it, and may also have to remove the airbox. If the wire is connected, start the bike and give the wire/terminal a bit of a wiggle to see if it starts working. Let us know if that works, may have to pull the gauges apart to see if the needle is stuck. I do have a 1000 instrument cluster (white face, 650s have a black tacho face) that the tacho works but the speedo doesn't that I would sell if you need it.

To raise the tank, take off the seat (key release is up under the seat on the left side), remove the cover on the tank near the ignition key (4 screws), under that cover is 2 bolts, undo them and then lift the tank from the front. Make sure you don't lose the 2 rubbers that sit under each side of the tank and stop it from rubbing on the frame. There should be a couple of metal rods in the tool kit that are used to hold the tank up. I put my seat across the frame and let the tank rest on it when I have it tilted up.
Otto-Cycle

Post by Otto-Cycle »

Hi,

Any news on the Tacho issue?

My 2001 650 Raptor tacho stopped working and upon dismantling the speedo I found a burnt out resistor lying in the lower housing of the speedo. The resistor shows signs of overheating and melting the solder before dropping out of the electronic board. Wire from coils has electrical output so it is the resistor which is the culprit. Problem is that the resistor is so damaged that I can't work out what its resistance value should be. The resistor actually measures 24 Ohms but I am not sure if this is correct. Does anyone know what the value is, or have any pictures of the resistor on their machine so I could work out the value? If not then it will be a case of risking damaging the speedo electronics by fitting resistors of varying values until I get the correct output on the tacho. Images attached show the back of the speedo electronics board and a close up of position R101 on the board where the resistor fell off.

Cheers
650 Speedo Rear View-002.JPG
650 Speedo Rear View-002.JPG (82.87 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
650 Raptor Speedo Board R101.JPG
650 Raptor Speedo Board R101.JPG (69.18 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

These guys do those sort of repair https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?language=en