Running shit in the rain

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Wardy
On the Road

Running shit in the rain

Post by Wardy »

Yes it's been mentioned alot do and have used the search but

Any bit of spray or rain and my front cyl drops off

Somebody suggested a fix with a flap or something is there any more info on this

As in not a fair weather rider and get pissed off by it lol
Miz
On the Road

Re: Running shit in the rain

Post by Miz »

It's a fairly big job, but will give you an excuse to change your coolant.

Remove the radiator (probably could do it without draining, but it's easier this way), once the radiator is off, you can get to the front plug, remove the cap, and make sure the recess and cap are clean, also clean/blow through the drain hole for the plug recess (small hole on nearside of cylinder).

The modification is a small flap of rubber/plastic that is attached to the bottom bracket on the fan on the back of the radiator, this stops water from the front wheel going through the radiator and soaking the front plug cap.

Here is a picture of the flap as fitted to the Xtra

152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Yup, I have one like that too - a piece of car mud-flap - works a treat :happyhappy:

also worth checking your foremost plug cap and plug for minor damage (hairline cracks, splits in lead)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

So the flap actually works? As it really runs shit in any rain it's horrible when I'm out with others lol
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

the flap works ok but you also need to solve what is breaking down and causing your shit running.

plug/leads/cap/ coil etc can all be causes.

Solve that first and then protect your new bits with the flap.

I have never had a flap but also never had a water ingress problem either but I do seal everything and coat it when cleaning.

I also replace parts when they reach a certain age or miles or start to look a bit worn............................
nil illigitimae carborundum
Pratz
On the Road

Post by Pratz »

Check those two big bolts on fuel cap, mine were unscrewed resulting in bad rubber sealing between fuel cap and fuel tank.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Wardy wrote:55 years agoSo the flap actually works? As it really runs shit in any rain it's horrible when I'm out with others lol
Yes it does work.

What have you done/checked so far?
152/999
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Checked nothing tbh as runs great in the dry just the rain and spray!!
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

so that tells you something in the ignition circuit (spark) is breaking down once water gets in there and causes a short.
The design is not to allow water to ingress so one of the componenbts of that circuit is faulty.
If you dont know how to or dont have the equipment to test properly then the easiest way is to test by replacement.
spark plug/ plug cap/ plug lead/ ignition coil and finally the wiring connections to your coil if none of the others show a fault.

I would get a water spray bottle and run the bike in a darkened garage so you should see where the problem is coming from. you will probably see arcing at the location that is breaking down.

Best of luck
nil illigitimae carborundum
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Will make a start on it soon but yeah it's not just water form say washing the bike as it's fine it's spray kicking off the front wheel hitting the front cyl that's causing it
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Still struggling how to make this flap ;( any further help fellas?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Snappy, can you take a pic of your flap and how it mounts for Wardy?... Oooh errr missus,

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Thankyou mate going Scotland in 2 week on it for a week over 2,000 mile so don't want it to run like shit in the rain lol
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Wardy wrote:55 years agoStill struggling how to make this flap ;( any further help fellas?
shebee wrote:55 years agoSnappy, can you take a pic of your flap and how it mounts for Wardy?... Oooh errr missus,
would if I could , but have no host for pics these days, I'll try to wash and get a pic tomorrow though how long it will take to get down to a normal state of muck I don't know

Is it creating the flap itself, or fitting it that's the problem Wardy?

whereabouts are you? (geographically speaking) just seems if you see the thing insitu it might help
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Wardy wrote:55 years agoStill struggling how to make this flap ;( any further help fellas?
When you say, "struggling" what have you done, and what are you struggling with?

If you are off on your hols and want to make a temp solution, cut up a plastic bottle and tyrap a piece of plastic behind the radiator/below the fan.
152/999