New to the Raptor

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Lexio62
On the Road

New to the Raptor

Post by Lexio62 »

Hi all,
Just picked this little thing up yesterday.
So-far so good. It has high km's, but was cheap and is a third bike to add to the stable.

For now I will enjoy it, road riding, track days, but eventually I may race it.,

Things to do now:
1. Go over all the rusted bolts
2. Service the supension
3. Find a set or someone to make some rear sets - would be good toy find a kit that allow for the passenger pegs as well (that could be easily removed for track days).

Things to plan for:
1. New forks (thinking GSXR will fit with R6/1 callipers) Hopefully the Cagiva rim can be retained
2. New rear shock, some extra ride height. Thinking Penske?

Look forward to learning what I can from here and hopefully developing something special.
Attachments
RaptorTacho.jpg
RaptorTacho.jpg (211.32 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
RaptorSide.jpg
RaptorSide.jpg (155.31 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

New to the Raptor

Post by shebee »

Sorry for the delay in approving, i am in the wilds of cornwall and have just managed to find the first wifi hotspot in 3 days! Welcome in!
Twisted Tequila Sister
norrie
On the Road

Re: New to the Raptor

Post by norrie »

Nice looking bike.
I believe R1 forks will fit and retain the wheel.

Oh and welcome.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in :D

high Kms eh? how many is that?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

I 'd call 75000 reasonably high? Although other than some ticking noise which I believe is normal the bike feels very crisp - power everywhere.

As for the forks, I've seen early r1 conversions bit I was thinking K4 Gsxr forks with the nice 04 onwards R1/R6 calipers.

A full 748/996 conversion would be nice but the parts are too expensive.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Nice bike, a V with Xtra horns, if my eyes don't deceive me.

Welcome! :beer:

EDIT: Triangles may give you ride height, search on here for anything you're interested in, there's HEAPS of good info around.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoNice bike, a V with Xtra horns, if my eyes don't deceive me.

EDIT: Triangles may give you ride height, search on here for anything you're interested in, there's HEAPS of good info around.

What are Xtra horns? The carbon fake intake things? I assumed they were standard - I'll be honest I don't know much about the bikes other than having spent a bit racing against a 650 raptor and having a go on it. Great little bike.

As for the Triangles, what ones do you run? I notice they range from 20-50mm, have you done anything to avoid the chain wearing through the swing arm guide?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

welcome it looks luverly
Bit of a Muppet
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Raptors come in 3 models - the base, that we call "Normale" round here, the V which came with plastic fairing bits, and (up to) 1000 limited edition Xtras that got better suspension and carbon instead of plastic. Most of your bodywork looks plastic, except the horns, which is the name Cagiva seems to have given the fake air intake things, so it looks like your horns are not original. New bars too so maybe something bad happened near the front end? It also looks like your bars are held on with black bolts to the rear, and silver to the front, is that right? Such a mismatch would seem a bit odd. Looking closely, your bar clevis' do look a bit non-standard I think, are they aftermarket to accommodate fat bars?

I've not installed triangles, but if you do a search on here for them you'll probably be able to find some ideas. I don't seem to have problems with the chain guide, but my chain does run helluva close to the Akrapovic mid pipes, so I keep a very close eye on it's adjustment.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Thanks for the info.
The bolts pin things holding the bar on are all black, the front ones have just tarnished a bit.
I'm not too concerned if it's been down the road - it was a cheapie.
Indicator surrounds have also been painted so you may be right.
Long term it will end up being raced so most of that stuff will go into the spare parts bin... including the suspension.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Lexio62 wrote:55 years ago
Spyke wrote:55 years agoNice bike, a V with Xtra horns, if my eyes don't deceive me.

What are Xtra horns? The carbon fake intake things? I assumed they were standard - I'll be honest I don't know much about the bikes other than having spent a bit racing against a 650 raptor and having a go on it. Great little bike.

As for the Triangles, what ones do you run? I notice they range from 20-50mm, have you done anything to avoid the chain wearing through the swing arm guide?
I guess they do look like "horns" my take on it is the bike being named after a bird of prey , the Raptor, hence the shape of the horns and the other body panels including the front panels ,steering damper protector and claw like frame plugs etc. Speaking of triangles i have ordered a set from germany , they are 30mm rise and made from stainless steel. You can find the other ones which are made from standard type steel 20mm rise Lust racing on ebay but they are double the price
Wintermute
On the Road

Post by Wintermute »

i fitted ducati front end too mine, only needed a new headstem turned out, the indicator pods n some nose fairing removed, the lockstops need modified, wrists into the tank otherwise, i had to remake the clock mount, needed to go higher, the mastercylinder fouled it. the disc's needed changed, the dish is different.
its pic is in the rider n rides...the mistress
Keep it Real!
01 vrap, ducati yokes/forks/front wheel, clip-ons, aprillia disc's, link plates, hagon shock,TFI box, air box mod'd, tre, prp exhausts, modified monoposto 916 seat unit, new undertray and expansion tank.
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

What model forks and wheel did you run?
I've found 1000DS forks for a good price - and then I can retain the Cagiva callipers as they are the same.
So less likely to get questioned at a race meeting :)
keithy
On the Road

Post by keithy »

I see that you have fat bars what type of risers are you using ?
Thanks K
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Lexio62 wrote:55 years agoWhat model forks and wheel did you run?
I've found 1000DS forks for a good price - and then I can retain the Cagiva callipers as they are the same.
So less likely to get questioned at a race meeting :)
You can retain calipers, but you need at least new discs because Ducatis uses 320mm discs.
Caliper mounting points might also need modifications.
I used Ducati Monster 1000 S4 forks, check out http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =20&t=4407
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !