Changing headlight bulbs

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Changing headlight bulbs

Post by dizzyblonde »

An easy question for you all today.
But with all things V it probably isn't!
Without going through my manual, can anyone tell me in plain speak how to change the candle which is the headlight bulb on the V.
Off to Scotland next week. May need light if it's a late arrival, and judging by the pathetic amount of light I had on Saturday night, I might want to see where I'm going next time I ride at night!

Cheers peeps!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Spyke
On the Road

Re: Changing headlight bulbs

Post by Spyke »

Remove the four screws holding the "under nose piece" if there is one like there is on the Xtras.
Remove the horns - I always lay the screws down on the worktop in the same layout as they were on the bike so I don't mix them up when refitting.
Remove the indicator lenses, a screw on each side inboard of the pods.
Remove the two bolts and one screw holding each indicator pod on, you should be OK to leave the pods dangling by their wires.
Remove the screws holding the headlight band on - two each side I think.
Gently plop the headlight band upwards to pull the retaining posts out of their rubber grommets, then wiggle it forwards out of the way.
Unscrew the three bolts holding the headlight unit on from behind, this is a bit fiddly.
Pull the rubber cover off the back of the headlight unit, and I think you can pull the connector off the back of the bulb.
Undo the clip holding the headlight bulb in, and swap the bulb, the halogen ones are worth spending a few quid on.

When you're putting her back together a wee dod of rubber grease or even silicone grease on the rubbers makes future post/grommet interactions less stressful!

I think that's how it goes anyway, I'm sure someone else will chime in if I've missed something.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

ALL THAT FOR A BULB?????

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This may take a while :blink:
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Crikey!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I do believe so - in this case function follows form!

The problem really is that the stylish nose lines actually come from 5 separate parts - more if you strip the pods into their component parts. Look on the bright side, you've had her a long time before you've had to do this, you might never have to do it again. It could be worse - a mates new Hyundai recently blew a headlight bulb, you can't even change the bulb in that, you need to buy a whole new headlight unit, at a ridiculous price of course, designers these days don't seem to consider practicalities.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoALL THAT FOR A BULB?????
Think yourselves lucky, I have just got a new Skoda Octavia, and to change the front idicator bulbs you have to remove the front bumper and grill, to remove the headlight, then break open the headlight unit to replace the bulb, then buy a repair kit from Skoda to put the headlight back together.....
152/999
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

And they say this is progress :shock:
Bit of a Muppet
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

What a pain in the bum....the pain in my wallet in Halfords better be worth all the effort.
Cheeky feckers only sell their own brand these days, and the special motorcycle versions are supposedly crap. Same numbers on the box as the special car ones :?
So I bought one of them. H4 60/55 H4, 120% more brightness. .. Than the candle
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Thanks for the instructions Spyke. All back together now. Also, I'm glad we did it, as some of the wiring had been previously been left hanging outside, instead of down its purposely designed channel inside the assembly of plastics.

We've decided that the little passing side light bulb needs a better replacement too. We shall do that today as it's comparably simpler to do!

:thumbsup: :ride:
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoThanks for the instructions Spyke. All back together now. Also, I'm glad we did it, as some of the wiring had been previously been left hanging outside, instead of down its purposely designed channel inside the assembly of plastics.

We've decided that the little passing side light bulb needs a better replacement too. We shall do that today as it's comparably simpler to do!

:thumbsup: :ride:
I've dumped the sidelight and replaced it with a pair of LED's mounted inside the indicator pods.

152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Miz wrote:55 years agoI've dumped the sidelight and replaced it with a pair of LED's mounted inside the indicator pods.
does that work direct Miz (i.e. crimp wires to existing) - or does it need faffing/inline fuses or any other fancy gizmos?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Likes those!!! Although probably too technical for me to be attempting :oops:
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Cables crimped direct, with cables routed through indicator pods, gaffer tape over hole for old bulb holder, LED's draw less current than the 5w sidelight. Will post up a link later if I can find them again.
152/999
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

That looks good Miz

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
Miz
On the Road