Electrical Issue ????

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Foghorn
On the Road

Electrical Issue ????

Post by Foghorn »

Been a long time since posted on here, too long in fact.

Looking for some advice.......
..........developed a problem with the bike, it's not all the time. Turn the ignition the red electrical light comes on the dash, once you start the bike, the light goes off and it runs fine. However sometimes the red light stays on and that's where things get funky.

The bike pig roots, back fires on the down shift, acceleration will cut out and the throttle lags and surges.

The bike is regularly maintained and serviced, used to get it done at Action, but they have gone the wayside, last serviced in late July.

The bike had a new stator/rectifier 20 months ago, just put new spark plugs in, as I thought that might be the issue. Fuel pump is okay, thought it might be dirty fuel, but that doesn't explain the issues linking to the red light. I'm thinking the wiring harness, might have a loose connection.

It's a 2000 Cagiva V-Raptor, Italian bike, with a TLS engine and wiring harness if I'm not wrong.

Be grateful for any thoughts.......
snapdragon

Re: Electrical Issue ????

Post by snapdragon »

Sounds similar to the problem I had with the front pot - it was a cracked plug cover - caused by a 'hot bike/cold water spouting from front fender' interface we deduced.

backfire could also be exhaust seals

power loss from water in the fuel or a loose connection somewhere, wayyy back I had power loss on downhill right handers (only!) and it was one spade connector needed cleaning and firming up
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

check the battery ensure it is charging correctly then all connections are good first?
nil illigitimae carborundum
Foghorn
On the Road

Post by Foghorn »

Thanks guys its an odd one - checked the battery and have a trickle that I used for my race bikes.

Put new plugs in, but granted it has to be connection based, because if the ignition light goes out after start it runs fine.
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Had problem with mine a couple of years back , the bike cut out as I got home after traveling 70 odd miles, it then started & ran fine . Next day it won't start just clicking sound , left it for a bit & it started fine but then the same problem at the shops, it started after a few clicks but it ran rough . I checked all the electrics especially the earths but it turned out to be the battery on its way out.
I think the raptor needs 12 v to run . As the battery deteriorates over time it can't hold the full 12 volts all the time so faults seam intermittent .
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

The ECM in the Rap and many other bikes and cars is very susceptible to doing strange things and giving unusual indications when the battery voltage is low or inconsistent.

Modern electronics for ya!
nil illigitimae carborundum
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Totally agree C T. Working in a garage we are now finding modern cars need a fully charged battery to start. Ecu's etc won't operate & you have to be carful not to 'spike' or surge the electrics it's getting complicated just because the battery is a little flat.