Chain / tyre tensioner replacement

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
03raptorincalifornia
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: https://www.facebook.com/jack.

Chain / tyre tensioner replacement

Post by 03raptorincalifornia »

First, sorry for nearly dropping off the face of the Earth, everyone. Life's been busy with a new job. For a bit of good news, the V-Raptor is looking mighty sexy these days, so will upload the new pictures later. In the bad news section, today marks the 2nd time my right side tire tensioner just fell off. I don't want to replace it with stock and keep having the same issues (Also, haven't seen 1 available). Does anyone know of a good working/functioning swappable part for these?
- Jack
California Owner of the Cagiva V-Raptor 1000
03raptorincalifornia
On the Road

Re: Chain / tyre tensioner replacement

Oh oh oh! Forgot to mention that I have an electric issue when I turn the turn signal switch left/right, it blinks BOTH at the same time for the front and Blinks my rear brake light, with neither rearindicator being illuminated. I tried replacing the relay with no avail; any suggestions?
- Jack
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

it sounds like you have a bad earth somewhere, probably the earth that goes to the relay, try earthing the relay direct and see if that changes anything?

Bit confused by your other problem, the tyre tensioner???? Put up a pic that shows what you mean and we may have a better idea as to what you mean?
nil illigitimae carborundum
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hmm, yes I've no idea what a tire tensioner is...I googled but only came up with snow chain tensioners, and somehow I doubt you're running snow chains?! :lol:

AFAIK the only chain tensioners are the standard adjusting bolts into the brackets at the back of the swingarm, I tend to nip them up tight after adjusting the chain and all stays well. :photo: please!

Has someone maybe swapped out the OEM incandescent indicator bulbs for LEDs? If so then you might need to get an LED-appropriate relay, all sorts of weird and wonderful electricks can happen if you don't force the ECM/ECU to cope with the lower power draw.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

If you are meaning the chain tensioner then if the bolts are gone then i guess the plate has gone as well. I have some spare bolts but not the cap .
03raptorincalifornia
On the Road

Yes, the chain / tire / tyre tensioners (The plates on the back of the swingarm with 1 Hey bolt each). I'm thinking it shouldn't matter what I replace them with, so long as the mm matches the diameter of the tension block openings and the diameter of the axle bolt (for lack of the technical term). The site isn't wanting to upload my image for some reason. Here's a link to a left 1 on eBay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/331365796331?nav=SEARCH

@Crap Tartan: I do believe it's going to be an Earthing issue (So odd, how we call it a ground here). I'm going to double check my manual wire splices for faults.
- Jack
03raptorincalifornia
On the Road

Still haven't heard of anyone changing out those chain adjuster plates/screws/blocks.

Additionally, I found that my right front - /+ turn signal wires had made contact (visual by burnt plastic/heat shrink wrap). I know now this is what caused the lights to illuminate both front bulbs and bBlink the rear brake at the same time. What I can't figure out is why it's still doing it, especially without blowing a fuse?! :S lol
- Jack
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I think the only person I've heard has changed them is ozzraptor - swapped to titanium bolts I think. Have you actually lost any parts, or just nearly lost stuff? The adjusting bolts can occasionally vibrate a bit loose, prevent that by "nipping up" the adjusting bolts after tightening the axle, a good tip I read on here somewhere.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

What spyke said, the last person that adjusted the chain probabally didnt check the bolt tension once the axle nut was tightened so dont assume , it always pays to double check them and chances are they will be a bit loose after torquing the axle nuts so nip them up and they should never just fall out.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoI think the only person I've heard has changed them is ozzraptor - swapped to titanium bolts I think. Have you actually lost any parts, or just nearly lost stuff? The adjusting bolts can occasionally vibrate a bit loose, prevent that by "nipping up" the adjusting bolts after tightening the axle, a good tip I read on here somewhere.
I've swapped my bolts to stainless, just bought some standard 8mm cap head bolts and ran an 8mm die down them to increase the thread length.
152/999
forza
On the Road

Post by forza »

I changed my adjusters a few years back due to a badly corroded and snapped bolt , got some second ones off ebay, can't remember them being handed though I'm sure they fit either side.