Front fork compatibility

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
OkBails
On the Road

Front fork compatibility

Post by OkBails »

Hi guys, I took my raptor for licensing inspection today and it failed due to a RHS Front fork leg being bent. I can't seem to locate one anywhere so now I'm forced to replace with a front end from something else. I did read on here that others will fit but I can't seem to be able to open up the older posts for some reason so can't find out which one. I think it was the early R1 or the GSXR 600/750 or maybe Monster? from memory. Could someone please give me a definite answer to this? Also do I have to replace the wheel, discs, calipers, mudguard as well or can I retain the original gear? (Wheel at least...I don't care about the rest but odd wheels would look crap!)

Help!
Bails
Resurrecting V Raptor 1000
OkBails
On the Road

Re: Front fork compatibility

Post by OkBails »

Thanks guys
Bails
OkBails
On the Road

Post by OkBails »

Well, got the new forks in thanks to Muzza from Murray West Racing. He had a set from a gixer lying around from a late 90's 750 he sold to me. The overall fork length and width at both triple clamps was the same but had a different axle size. He modified the gsxr axle, added a spacer and replaced the wheel bearings with ones that have a smaller centre so we could still use my wheel.

He also threw in an early 90's gsxr mudguard he had on hand which I really like and looks a lot better than my busted arse effort on the original.
To retain the Brembos an adapter plate has to be made which he is making in his shop while I'm away at work over the next two weeks. I could use Tokico 6 piston calipers but will then have to go 320mm discs so the pad doesn't hang over. Adapter plates will be much cheaper and I like the Brembos

Also using fully adjustable gsxr forks means I can adjust them to suit my style...win, win.

Bails
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Result. :thumbsup:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

OOOOHHHH....adjustable damping and preload......oh god I'm jealous!!!!! Yeah!