New owner is a bit jerky?!?

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Dazzle
On the Road

New owner is a bit jerky?!?

Post by Dazzle »

Hello All,

Fantastic chilly :cold: ride in the Hills today, not as long as I wanted but had to do oil & filter on my lads VTR.

Bike was a hoot in the twisties....but slowing down through the towns was a bit 'jerky' on the very sensitive throttle. Rideable but could be nicer.

Would the TBS adjustment smooth this out? or any other ideas?.

Might just be me but I kinda like that she's a bit on the wild side...

Cheers all,
Daz
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: New owner is a bit jerky?!?

Post by shebee »

Welcome Dazzle, sorry for the delay in approving the post, all admin were drunk in a field in lincolnshire this weekend. The raptor was my first injected bike and the twitchy throttle took some getting used to, but i got there, it may just be likewise for you but others more technical and less hung over may be along soon x
Twisted Tequila Sister
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

ita a common problem, check TPS by all means but the 3k glitch is well discussed on here and there is a fix!
Have a search and a read and then let build a black box or let me know and I can do it for you.
If it is just the 3k glitch the black box mod has never failed to sort it.
nil illigitimae carborundum
Dazzle
On the Road

Post by Dazzle »

Thanks & hope the hangovers have eased....

Checked the TBS & it's out - top bar at 2.5 - 3k. I will adjust it & my throttle hand accordingly!

Not noticed a 3k glitch while riding but have always warmed up my bikes before setting off & it's not as cold here as Blighty!
squeal
On the Road

Post by squeal »

HI all.. I spent ages trying to 'fix' the general twitchiness (is that a word??) of the throttle at low speeds.. Keeping the TPS adjusted does help..
In the end though, you have to learn to ride around it.. the first 10 years were the worst for me.. :D
Last edited by squeal on |July 22nd, 2015|, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V4mp
On the Road

Re: RE: Re: New owner is a bit jerky?!?

Post by V4mp »

Dazzle wrote:55 years agoThanks & hope the hangovers have eased....

Checked the TBS & it's out - top bar at 2.5 - 3k. I will adjust it & my throttle hand accordingly!

Not noticed a 3k glitch while riding but have always warmed up my bikes before setting off & it's not as cold here as Blighty!
Make blackbox mod so there is no need to wait bike warming up ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Dazzle
On the Road

Post by Dazzle »

squeal wrote:55 years agoHI all.. I spent ages trying to 'fix' the general twitchiness (is that a work??) of the throttle at low speeds.. Keeping the TPS adjusted does help..
In the end though, you have to learn to ride around it.. the first 10 years were the worst for me.. :D
Ha Ha - very good!. :woot:

I am getting used to it now, but I had a 1998 Laverda 750S with fuel injection and that was smooth as silk at low speed.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

+1 on the black box, i have never beleived in fully warming up bike before riding, i think its better for the motor to 'ride the warm up gently' rather than idling for long periods each time. just my 3c These bikes run a cold and a hot map, you can feel a big difference on the throttle over 81c . Outside of that a good tune, tps adjust and balance makes a big difference,also check plugs and stuff like that. Hopefully see you on the road
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I've always fully warmed mine bar a few exceptional exceptions, up to 50+ degrees but engine is never proper warm until 80.
Living in a 30 zone I have a mile in any direction until it becomes 'glf' so keeping to 30 for that - with the revs on 3000 is not a trial. I guess I just got used to avoiding the glitch over the years.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Dazzle
On the Road

Post by Dazzle »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years ago+1 on the black box, i have never beleived in fully warming up bike before riding, i think its better for the motor to 'ride the warm up gently' rather than idling for long periods each time. just my 3c These bikes run a cold and a hot map, you can feel a big difference on the throttle over 81c . Outside of that a good tune, tps adjust and balance makes a big difference,also check plugs and stuff like that. Hopefully see you on the road
Thanks ozzraptor, the previous owner said warm it up above 40 before heading off, so thats what i have been doing. Catch up anytime mate.

I have searched for 'black box' and it got very tech, is it a simple job or should i take up Crap Tartan's offer (beer vouchers will be given!) to knock one up for me?. Is there any info somewhere on the forum on how to make one up?
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

There is a guide on here of what's parts you need and how to make the black box.
very easy to do and only costs a few quid.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Dazzle wrote:55 years ago
ozzraptor wrote:55 years ago+1 on the black box, i have never beleived in fully warming up bike before riding, i think its better for the motor to 'ride the warm up gently' rather than idling for long periods each time. just my 3c These bikes run a cold and a hot map, you can feel a big difference on the throttle over 81c . Outside of that a good tune, tps adjust and balance makes a big difference,also check plugs and stuff like that. Hopefully see you on the road
Thanks ozzraptor, the previous owner said warm it up above 40 before heading off, so thats what i have been doing. Catch up anytime mate.

I have searched for 'black box' and it got very tech, is it a simple job or should i take up Crap Tartan's offer (beer vouchers will be given!) to knock one up for me?. Is there any info somewhere on the forum on how to make one up?
I purchased one from crap tartan and hard wired it into the loom rather than using those dodgy crush type connectors.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

heres the link to the thread that shows how to make the black box and what parts you need.

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 0&start=15