Oily rag....

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Dazzle
On the Road

Oily rag....

Post by Dazzle »

Hello All,

It's time for the first oil change on my Vrap, so called into my local Suzuki dealer for filters & oil. Sorted the filters & then picked up some Motul semi-synth 10W40 & headed for the counter, got stopped midway by the assistant to be told "you don't to be using that mate - well it's your bike but we always use mineral in the TL twins serviced here".
This threw me abit as I understood Cagiva recommend the semi-synth?. I left with the Motul 4T 3000 Plus 10W40 as advised......your thoughts please!.

Cheers,

Daz
Anakist
On the Road

Re: Oily rag....

Post by Anakist »

It is religion mate. There is so much misinformation and outright lying involved with oils.Use whatever you are comfortable with.

Personally I won't use dinosaur juice in any of my vehicles. And I boycott Castrol because their "fully synthetic" oils used to be from crude base stock - they just refined it more than usual. I guess I am luck though, there is an independent oil blender in my town, and I have talked to him about where his base stock comes from and I know it is proper PAO.

James
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

There is so much misinformation and outright lying involved with oils.Use whatever you are comfortable with.
I'd certainly agree with that plus (all) oils are so much better these days I usually extend the change periods to ~5/6K miles. This is with a good quality synthetic & daily use.

But is it true that once an engine has had synthetic in it you shouldn't go back to mineral?

Andy B
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

It must be that time of year... I am just getting the supplies in for our oil and filter changes too... Raptor and Navigator... We have always used the semi synth Motul and the hiflo filters as reccomended by Raptor Doc...

Found this on ebay.. Is it a good deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4L-MOTUL-5000 ... SwT5tWOidK
Twisted Tequila Sister
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Oil companies can pretty much call oils whatever they like .fully synthetic semi synthetic doesn't really mean much. Using a true fully synth in an old motor is probably a bad idea as the film strength is better and so can get past the rings more easily. But if it's had that since new or reasonably new then should be ok
Bit of a Muppet
Dazzle
On the Road

Post by Dazzle »

Thanks for your replies...here in lies my dilemma- not sure what oil it has in it now!.

Should I presume it's had semi-synth in it as Cagiva recommendations & change the mineral I got over to semi?...or just go with the mineral - will it cause a problem if it's got semi or even fully in it now?...

Thanks people :thumbsup:

Daz
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

I use delo 400 multigrade. SAE15W-40.
Good for diesel trucks and race bikes :)

Super cheap too.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Semi synth I used to use Putoline, but now Silkoline, hi flo filters, 10w40, just done mine
Having just been reminded of my mileage by the MoT station I'm reckoning I've done some number between 30 and 40 oil and filter changes on this bike since I bought her.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>