The Bat Bike

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
Horny675
On the Road

The Bat Bike

Post by Horny675 »

I was inspired to buy the Xtra Raptor (No 441 of 999) after watching the Dark Knight.

Bought it new at a bargain price in 2008.

I have ridden many Monsters, but never been impressed - too much vibration, lousy mirrors, poor reliability and excessive servicing costs.

The SV1000 has a great engine but looks as though it has been made from old slot machine parts.

The Raptor has got to be the best compromise between brilliant V-twin engine and Italian Chassis.

The Raptor has been fine for first 12000km and I am doig my own servicing - I just dont trust dealers to do a proper job.

I have taken off the steering damper - it made the steering difficult to turn in traffic.

I have replaces the ugly mufflers with MIVVs - these have guards fitted to the front since this is the bit that will become damaged if I drop the bike.

I have added a screen (from emoto, but ordered a shorter one) and added the bark busters (warmer hands and batmanesque)

I have clamped off the air line to the exhaust valve to stop the popping on the overrun.

I have cut about an inch off the seat height with an electric calving knife (!) and stapped the seat cover back on to make it more comfortable and to enable a short arse to touch the ground (The xtra raptor is about an inch higher than the standard Raptor due to a longer rear shock). Notive the more curved bum shaped profile. I have also fitted lower footpegs to suit.

I did have machine guns fitted but decided they might attract unwanted attention from our friends in blue!

The Dark Knight
Attachments
Bat2.jpg
Bat2.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 10593 times
Bat1.jpg
Bat1.jpg (177.72 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
Miz
On the Road

Re: The Bat Bike

Post by Miz »

Hi and welcome in,

Clean looking bike, if you do a search for "pairs" on here you will find the info to remove the pipework rather than just clamping the pipe.

Whereabouts are you?
152/999
Horny675
On the Road

Post by Horny675 »

Gotham City (Perth) Western Australia.

Taking all the air injection piping out is a job for someone with a lot of time on their hands. I thought about it, but am too busy (catching criminals). Also, I may have to put it back on again if it every needed to go over the pits (A requirement in Oz if the registration lapses for any reason). But thanks for your concern!

The Dark Knight.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the Asylum - looking at the mods you have made I think you will fit right in ;)
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in :D
Horny675 wrote:55 years agoI did have machine guns fitted but decided they might attract unwanted attention from our friends in blue!
and don't you find they bugger the aerodynamics? :lol:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Horny675
On the Road

Post by Horny675 »

Well guys, the "Bat bike" has now been transformed into the "Predator".

Removed the front failing, fitted twin "dominator " headlights and a few carbon bits.

The attempt at the Eagle on the tank is made from orange and silver striping tape. I just happened to notice that the tank cut-outs look like an eagles head - presumably intentionally.

Wow what a bike - I will never sell it.

I now have 2 Xtra Raptors, Nos 221 and 441. Only another 997 to go!!!

Batman
Attachments
Predator.jpg
Predator.jpg (171.04 KiB) Viewed 9744 times
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Horny675 wrote:55 years agoWell guys, the "Bat bike" has now been transformed into the "Predator".

Removed the front failing, fitted twin "dominator " headlights and a few carbon bits.

The attempt at the Eagle on the tank is made from orange and silver striping tape. I just happened to notice that the tank cut-outs look like an eagles head - presumably intentionally.

Wow what a bike - I will never sell it.

I now have 2 Xtra Raptors, Nos 221 and 441. Only another 997 to go!!!

Batman
I think you should be searching for 661 and 881 next :nod:
152/999
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

That looks bob-on. It might not have quite the impact of the bat-bike but I prefer the new look personally. (That doesn't necessarily mean that it's better, I'm a bit of a boring fart). I really like that eagle motif on the tank. I'll have to have another look at my own tank now to see if the eagle-ness of it is obvious.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

looking good, any chance of some clear pics of the eagle as its a bit shadowed.

I do however kinda prefer the look of the Bat bike..................
nil illigitimae carborundum
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Why not have one of each one predator one bat bike then get a third to keep standard :nod:
Bit of a Muppet
Horny675
On the Road

Post by Horny675 »

Ok, heres a better shot of the eagle.

Actually I like the idea of a Predator, a Bat bike and a standard one. So I just need to buy one more. Any suggestions for the other 996 Xtra raptors that I hope to buy?

I understand that BIKE magazine ran an article recently on the best ever 20 naked bikes. I asked them why they did not feature the Raptor and (I dont think the Martin Fitzgibbons has ever heard of one) they said that it was never a very popular bike.

Any ideas why this was the case?

I suggest that it might have been a bit expensive when it came out and the looks were a bit unconventional.

However, now they are sooooo cheap and soooo good!

I have never had a problem with spares or after market carbon bits, althoughit does take a bit of web browsing sometimes!

Incidentally, the Predator seems to handle better with the slightly higher bars and absense of all that stuff on the front.

Batman
Attachments
Eagle.jpg
Eagle.jpg (87.3 KiB) Viewed 9701 times
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

"I understand that BIKE magazine ran an article recently on the best ever 20 naked bikes. I asked them why they did not feature the Raptor and (I dont think the Martin Fitzgibbons has ever heard of one) they said that it was never a very popular bike.

Any ideas why this was the case?"

Yeah, I saw that as well. I can't remember all the bikes listed but I compared every one with the Rap. I mean, you can argue that the Monster was a more significant bike as it started a trend and saved Ducati and all. But from what I've heard, they arn't as good as Raps, and I think that 3 were featured in the top 20 bikes!

Same with the Bandit. The sheer numbers sold mean that it deserves its place, but again, there were 2 or 3 different examples. I just consider that my bike is the 21st best naked.

...give or take 20!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I'm guessing that by 'popular' they mean quantity sold, and there were just not that many imported, they seem pretty popular around here :tada:

but then good taste isn't all that common :dance:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Johan !!
On the Road

Post by Johan !! »

Any suggestions for the other 996 Xtra raptors that I hope to buy?
Let it original
Real men don,t eat honey , They chew on bees

xtra Raptor nr 094
Horny675
On the Road

Post by Horny675 »

OK guys, just to make (some of you) happy, the Bat bike has been reincarnated.

So now we have Bat 1 and Bat 2.

Bat 2 is ridden by Robin

Cheers

Batman
Attachments
bat bikes.jpg
bat bikes.jpg (66.77 KiB) Viewed 9494 times