GSXR CONVERSION

Somewhere for all the race mods
Lexio62
On the Road

GSXR CONVERSION

Post by Lexio62 »

I've purchased a set of k4 GSXR 750 forks.
Next I will look at the best/affordable brake setup.

Two options are:
1. R6/R1 monobloc with matching master cylinder. Ducati 320mm rotors. Spacers will be required.
2. K5 GSXR tokico monobloc with matching master cylinder. Ducati 320mm rotors. Spacers will be required.

The tokico callipers and MC are a bit cheaper than the yamaha gear. I've raced with both setups on an SV650, the Yamaha stuff has a bit more feel and they're slightly smaller/lighter (a lot easier to remove when changing pads). That's all. So I may lean towards the best priced option.

Once this is done - I'll look at Shock options and raising the ride height - then rear sets.

PS. I'll note down parts/spacers/sizes once this conversion is complete for anyone else looking to do similar.
Attachments
forks.jpg
forks.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 12634 times
Lexio62
On the Road

Re: GSXR CONVERSION

Post by Lexio62 »

Have purchased a GSXR axle from the states.
I think I just need to change the bearings to retain the Cagiva raptor front rim.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Lexio62 wrote:55 years agoHave purchased a GSXR axle from the states.
I think I just need to change the bearings to retain the Cagiva raptor front rim.
Depends on size, spacers might be enough. ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

A slow process... but now on the look out for radial mounted brakes, lines and MC.
Wanting the Yamaha stuff but more GSXR parts available at better price.

Also, if anyone has a lower or upper triple clamp for sale - please let me know. Would be helpful to have so I can build the front end up off the bike and still get the spacing correct.
forksAndaxle.jpg
forksAndaxle.jpg (21.16 KiB) Viewed 12540 times
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I have a complete raptor yoke set if you need it.
nil illigitimae carborundum
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Purchased these online for a reasonable price - hopefully they're in working order when they arrive!
I've also found nice R6/R1 monoblocs that I might buy as well - and set up down the track.
But for now the GSXR stuff will suffice.

Now just need to source brake rotors (I think Ducati 320mm fit the cagiva wheel) and then get any required spacers made up .
GSXRbrakes.jpg
GSXRbrakes.jpg (102.17 KiB) Viewed 12480 times
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Lexio62 wrote:55 years agoPurchased these online for a reasonable price - hopefully they're in working order when they arrive!
I've also found nice R6/R1 monoblocs that I might buy as well - and set up down the track.
But for now the GSXR stuff will suffice.

Now just need to source brake rotors (I think Ducati 320mm fit the cagiva wheel) and then get any required spacers made up .
GSXRbrakes.jpg
Ducati discs have same bolt pattern, but if I remember right middle hole is larger and offset might be different.
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Thanks @V4mp I'm pretty sure the Ducati discs will fit and I'll get a few spacers made up.
Will note all the dimensions down once complete for anyone else wanting to do the same.

Meanwhile, I'm going to rebuild these callipers and paint if they don't clean up well enough. You get what you pay for!
Attachments
dirty_callipers__1024.jpg
dirty_callipers__1024.jpg (178.92 KiB) Viewed 12389 times
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Cleaning the callipers has turned into a rebuild.
cleaningCalipers.jpg
cleaningCalipers.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 12336 times
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Looks like fun
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

How I'm hoping this will end up for the little beast...
LexRaptorVision.jpg
LexRaptorVision.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hmm, zorst looks too itty-bitty-little-bike for my taste, and I reckon that screen would need to be brought back much nearer the forks to look right but otherwise I like your thinking!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

I was going to run the same pipes we use on the 650 rap - see pic below. They're cheapies - easy to replace and weigh nothing. Were meant for a M900 monster.
The upper fairing on that is from a 748/916 but I might go for 2000+ 900ss/1000ds upper for something different. Similar to the radical ducati bikes.
Tail pice I will try and fit a Honda 125 GP once the subframe is cut up and an alloy one made for it.

But suspension and brakes first before the body work.

raptor650.jpg
raptor650.jpg (103.35 KiB) Viewed 12237 times
radicalDucati.jpg
radicalDucati.jpg (127.26 KiB) Viewed 12237 times
keithy
On the Road

Post by keithy »

Nice
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Definitely quite tidy, but still I'm not 100% convinced. For a very forward nose like that I think it'd look cleaner if there was something to join the nose to the rest of the bike, with it completely separate then it does look like it's not a bikini fairing per se and is just a part of a fairing pinched off another bike. With the Vs and Xtras the indicator pods do the job of joining the nose to the tank visually. I'm looking forward to seeing her evolve anyway.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.