GSXR CONVERSION

Somewhere for all the race mods
Lexio62
On the Road

Re: GSXR CONVERSION

Post by Lexio62 »

Out with the old and in with the new.

Rode a few corners on the streets - rear end nice and firm and can tell I'll be able to get on the gas without the thing losing it's line or bouncing all over the place.

Standard front end is suffering though... need to hurry up and sort it - although having a change of heart on the GSXR setup and considering a 748/996 front end to retain the original look. Concerned some race classes won't permit the radial mount callipers.

shocks.jpg
shocks.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
Not much difference - maybe new shock is 12mm taller.

shockInstall.jpg
shockInstall.jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
Hardest part to removing the shock is getting to the top mount. You need to lower the seat pan and remove the battery.
Then pull the shock up to get it out. It's all very compact. Shock in and out job on the sv650 race bike was about 1 hour. This one took 3!
Last edited by Lexio62 on |May 27th, 2016|, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

I've played with rear shock many times.. Never had to remove lower seat unit or battery. :shock:
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Really... how you get to the top mount? From underneath?
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Lexio62 wrote:55 years agoReally... how you get to the top mount? From underneath?
Its hard to explain but I can try... :D There isn't much space, but with right tools it is possible to do it.
Left side bolt is easy, all you need is spanner key... If I remember right, moving radiator expansion tank a bit gives you enough room to use socket spanner.
Flexible extension bar for socket spanner can also be useful.
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Raptor update: Through a another forum and the help of google translation I've ordered a used race front fairing for the V-rap. We're now leaning towards keeping the bike looking like a v-raptor rather than borrowing race fairings from other bikes and making it a bitsa.

If anyone has an old seat and rear cowl they're selling cheap please let me know, as we will need to mould up a fibreglass solo seat unit.
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

PS. Still running the standard front end, but the new Wilber's Shock has absolutely transformed the bike. Although I've only tested on the road so-far, the rear is really planted, so you can get on the gas pretty hard without upsetting things. Definetely recommend it.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Lexio,

I might just have what you're looking for - PM sent.

And yes the Wilbers is great shock. I've had mine, a 640 with only rebound adjustment, fitted for a couple of months now & to be honest I don't even notice it's there. Did you also see an improvement in traction?
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

PS. Still running the standard front end
DId you see the thread on Matris internals for the standard forks? http://raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4757

A little pricey but hassle free
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Thanks I'll check the PM.

I've never really had traction issues, so haven't noticed anything there. But no wallowing or unsettled feeling when you get on it hard as you start to exit a turn.

As for the Matris internals, if it was half the price I'd look into it - but personally I think it's just too expensive. I race an SV650 with standard k4 GSXR forks and they're fantastic. The gsxr conversion means you can run 320mm discs so it's more than just a fork upgrade.

I've got the forks, spacers, rebuilt callipers and a few different master cylinders options. Just need to buy some rotors and find some time!
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

New sub forum created and post moved xx :woot:
Twisted Tequila Sister