Lowering Kit

General spannery stuff
Confitures
On the Road

Lowering Kit

Post by Confitures »

Having seen the previous posts about ride height adjustments via the linkage plates I decided to have a go.

The biggest problem was supporting the weight of the bike while removing the three bolts; but a found a way of doing it on the side stand with a trolley jack and block of wood under the engine and 2 ratchet straps slung over a beam in the garage roof attached to the rear sub frame.

This allowed me to reduce the height of the bike by the desired amount and then measure the new hole alignements.

After making a template of the original I extended the top hole outwards by 1 cm which gave 2 cms ride height drop. The original plate was 4.8mm ally and the new ones are in 4.0mm Stainless, a barsteward to drill but don't need any further treatment. :idea:

Then had to stiffen up the preload 2 turns of the adjuster ring to compensate for the change (the back end became more soft and bouncy with the different hole centres).

Then hey presto Crafty can now get 1 foot completetly flat or sit comfortably with both of the balls of her feet down. Makes it so much easier for parking / reversing / 3 point turns etc etc.

If anyone else needs the template then PM us and I would be hapy to pass on a copy.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on this before.
Last edited by Confitures on |August 26th, 2007|, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

Lol, I can't see anyone else wanting the template.... I don't think anyone out there is as much of a shortarse as me!!!!!
Confitures is doing his engineers victory dance and I'm a very happy bunny!!! You wouldn't believe how much of a relief it is to be able to get my feet down, previously I only just about managed the tips of my toes... and thats with having cut the seat down and wearing Ladystar Daytona boots with built up soles!!! Only problem now is the side stand, bike is virtually bolt upright, have to choose where I park very carefully!!
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
Confitures
On the Road

Post by Confitures »

That is my next project, shortening the stand or altering the angle so the bike is less upright. At the moement we have to roll the bike onto a piece of 2 cm thick wood everytime we park, pain in the arse. :?
pod
On the Road

Handling and stnd.

Post by pod »

Since the back end is lowered it would be a good thing handling wise to lower the yokes on the forks a similar amount to preserve geometry, if you dont the bikes steering will be slower and the front end may get more squirelly on bumps/accleration. Check front wheel to front cylinder head clearance though. (May need to remove fork springs for this)

The stand is easy, remove and heat flat lower end to cherry red the beat in a slightly flatter longer end , a good smiddy guy will do it in ten mins, trim off excess length when done and repaint.
Stay calm.
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

Thanks Pod, already dropped the forks as soon as we did the back end. Confit is quite a dab hand at it now, had to do my GSE 500 and my ER5 !!Good idea on the stand, had thought we would have to cut out a section and weld it back together but that seems like a better idea!
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!