cutting out

General spannery stuff
craigus
On the Road

cutting out

Post by craigus »

hi all, today i was out for a spin & as i was revving it hard the engine cut out for about a second & then did again immediatly after, it seemed to only do it either second or third gear but this has only started doing it today , i dont ride in the rain but have fitted a T.R.E can shed any light on this problem , has anybody else had this trouble any suggestions would be greatfully recieved
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

maybe a loose connector? ,or did you disconnect the battery? maybe check the terminals!
No bike is ever finished!
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

i did take off the battery about a month ago maybe they've worked lose.
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Worth a look at the propstand switch, sometimes the pivot can be a bit stiff, doesn't 'make' the switch......
That switch disables ignition, if you are in gear.
:D
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
joe78
On the Road

Post by joe78 »

i had a similar problem with a triumph recently, it wasn't so mush of a cut out as a loss of drive but the power came back in quickly which made the bike lurch. turned out to be water in the fuel tank which was buiding up in the filler cap when it rained and running in when i opened the cap to fill up. cured it by putting some meths in the tank when fuel was low.
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

i've checked the battery & the side stand switch all seems to be ok so i took it out for another ride & its getting worse ,it happens in all gears from about 7000rpm upwards . i've never rode a bike with water in the feul so not sure what to look for is this a typical case or is it spark plug trouble also joe said about putting meths in the tank how much would you put in ??
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Wierd :shock: I had a problem caused by a loose connector but it only seemed to happen on downhill righthanders - (something to do with gravity pulling the connector??)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
joe78
On the Road

Post by joe78 »

I ran the bike until the fuel light came on and then put about 1/4 of a 500ml bottle of meths in it. I then went for about a 10 - 15 mile run (as far as i dare with the light on) and then filled the tank right up so as to dilute any meths that hadn't been burnt as much as possible. i never had the problem with the bike again but obviously i can't say if this is the problem you're having. can't see what harm it'd do though so its probably worth a try.
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

most helpful joe thanks i'll give it a try
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

I've noticed that if I park up and set off a little while later and the bike is not cold as such(around 70%) but not at full running heat, If I rev it it will cut out. Only way round it is a little bit of choke. Once the bike gets up to around 80% it seems ok but until then have to be careful.. not good going around a roundabout with a truck itching to come on in front of you and you stall! Good job it's easy to restart whilst coasting!!!
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

i have now found the problem, it had the wrong spark plugs in her & the wires to the coils were green & not a tight fit so done the neccessary & all is now sweet . But i think the clutch is slipping (typical) but my rap has only done 9k , how many miles does a clutch normally do ?