Cranck Case Oil Seepage

General spannery stuff
Confitures
On the Road

Cranck Case Oil Seepage

Post by Confitures »

Hi All, For those who don't know me I am the technical support (husband) for Craftycat's Raptor 1000.

Having already done several thousand trouble free kilometers we recently did a quick trip across to Britanny for the Madona de Motards and to pay respect for a friend of ours who we lost last year in a freak bike accident.

The weather was pretty grim and the bikes got fairly wet and dirty and I noticed when we got back that there was a slightly oily trail on the left hand crank cover coming from the small round cover that is in the centre.

I have not seen this before, is it normal from time to time or does it indicate a slightly more serious issue that needs to be looked at. By the way what does this small round cover do. Is it just an access cover for turning over the crank and doing static valve timing or what.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. on the same trip we lost the right hand swing arm pivot cover, the little rubber grooved cover, anyone got any spares or know how much they cost new????

All the best

Confit :D
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi

The cover gives acces to the crank so you can turn it for valve adjustment , timing marks are there also
Had exactly the same about 2 months ago also after riding in the rain
took the cover out, inspected the o ring (still intact) and put it back in.
Maybe it only needed to be retightened coz a lot of rain and about 700 km still no sign of any leaking!

cheers
No bike is ever finished!
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

Mine does that from time to time but never enough to really worry about.
A normal "O" ring will not suffice though as the original one is thicker than most.
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

hi there,

i had the same problem as you. Oil seapage through the center 'cap'. Just ordered a new O-ring, and problem solved. The old one was a bit ehhhh old (not as flexible anymore) :lol:
Confitures
On the Road

Post by Confitures »

Thanks for the confirmation guys, it's as I thought it to be. I will keep an eye on it and do the neccessary replacement when needed.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in Confitures - :D

I shall check the stock for rubber bits and see if we have one
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>