Rear Brake

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
taz_116
On the Road

Rear Brake

Post by taz_116 »

Is it me or does the back brake on the Rap seem really weak?

I haven't tried adjusting yet but i rode my wifes Triumph Speed 4 the other day and used the same pressure i use on the rap and locked the rear up, needless to say i almost emptied my guts in me leathers :oops:

I do have braided hoses and the play is set as per the manual, but there seems to still be an excessive amount of travel in the lever. Any ideas?

Taz
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Are you sure the pistons/pads are moving freely? I don't find mine 'weak' - although I must admit I only use it in traffic, mostly. Travel seems similar to various Yam's Hondas & my Triumph.
Changed the fluid, recently? Fluid absorbs moisture & becomes spongy as a result, worth a shot, for the price of some Dot.
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

Shouldn't be weak at all, I can lock my back wheel a little too easily !!!!

As Steve said, check the caliper, make sure the pistons move freely and the rubbers are intact and not allowing crap to ingress around the pistons. Also check that the pads can move freely on the pins, mine were binding slightly at one point and allowing the pads to drag slightly on the disc. Also change your fluid and bleed well. May also be worth investing in a new set of pads as well for the cost of them.
Last edited by Brihass on |September 9th, 2007|, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

i owned a speed four before the rap & the brakes are extremely sharp on the S4 much better than the rap but i found by putting goodridge brake hoses on the rap they do improve the sharpness of the brakes
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Adjusted the travel in the lever this morning and run some new racing brake fluid through, and all is well :D can now lock the back up at will and have 200% more rear brake than before! Yippeeee Cheers guys.
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE