Cracked Steering Damper on Xtra Raptor

General spannery stuff
xraptorman

Cracked Steering Damper on Xtra Raptor

Post by xraptorman »

Has anyone heard of faulty steering dampers on the Xtra Raptors? I just had the beast serviced, and they noticed that the components that go around the forks have cracks. Needless to say, the steering damper has removed. So the question is… has anyone come across this before? And, what did you do about it?
Terry

2003 Xtra Raptor 223/999
StainTunes Pipes, K&N Air Filter, Techlusion Fuel Injection, Scott Oiler, and a bit of extra carbon
Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

yes I have heard of it....from you!! :lol:
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

Hi there,

common fault on the xtra, the damper clamps are of poor design and also appear to made of chocolate, they crack around the hinge pins.

you can buy another set from Cagiva, expensive, and you would be back to square one very shortly!!!!!!

I'm in the process of buying some Harris steering damper fork leg clamps at present and looking to modify them to suit. Will let you know how it goes.

Has anyone else come up with another solution, other than ditching the damper???
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
raptorratte
On the Road

Post by raptorratte »

mine has no problems yet. if they crack i would prefere to make some new ones by myself
Drive it like you stole it
88/999
if you obey all the rules you miss al the fun
Zane
On the Road

Get rid of the Dampner

Post by Zane »

I cracked one of the brackets by accident. Overtighteneing it by hand. Have made the decision to run without the steering dampner. I have found that the bike handles better without the dampner fitted.

Steers quicker and at speed on corners you still dont get any head shake. Infact you may get a little head shake because your lifting the front wheel out of corners. But hey, thats fine! :D
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa
the oaf
On the Road

Post by the oaf »

Brihass wrote:55 years agoHi there,

common fault on the xtra, the damper clamps are of poor design and also appear to made of chocolate, they crack around the hinge pins.

you can buy another set from Cagiva, expensive, and you would be back to square one very shortly!!!!!!

I'm in the process of buying some Harris steering damper fork leg clamps at present and looking to modify them to suit. Will let you know how it goes.

Has anyone else come up with another solution, other than ditching the damper???
Reduce the steering angle slightly. You won't have steering lock any more but you won't stress the steering damper brackets anymore either.
peterboropete

steering damper

Post by peterboropete »

Hi,
there is a steering damper for a v-raptor on ebay at the moment, does anyone know if it will bolt straight onto a standard raptor 1000 or if some components on the v-rap are specific to accomodate it? thanks