Hydraulic clutch

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
wreckah
On the Road

Hydraulic clutch

Post by wreckah »

hi guys,

just thought i'd post op about the hydraulic clutch conversion i did. Some people like the cable clutch, but i don't. It works ok-ish for a month or two, and then the worm drive wears out, and gives crappy clutch control, difficult launches, snapped cables, it becomes harder etc...

So i prefer a hydraulic clutch. The TL1000R hydra clutch setup works on the TLS, so why not try it on the rap?

On the normal rap 1000, it's almost a straight swap: just buy the TLR clutch master cyl, slave cylinder, pushrod and sprocket cover, and bolt it on. You'll need a longer clutch line though. (ca. 10cm longer)

On the V-rap, it's a tad more complicated, because you haven't got the clearance to mount the TLR mastercylinder with solid reservoir underneath the V-rap 'horns'.

So i looked out on ebay for a clutch M/C with detached reservoir, with a hose, so i could mount that like i wanted to. I found a 2006 Aprilia RSV mille factory brembo radial clutch master cyl plus lever plus reservoir for 50 quid, and went ahead with the install.

Together with the 107cm long stainless clutch line, the install went very well, and i've got the best clutch setup i've ever had on any bike now: superlight, supersmooth, and very controlleable! More so, i won't have to adjust it anymore, and it won't fade or wear out over time 8)

woo-hoow!
cheers, Jan
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Re: Hydraulic clutch

Post by TLMONKEY »

wreckah wrote:55 years agohi guys,

just thought i'd post op about the hydraulic clutch conversion i did. Some people like the cable clutch, but i don't. It works ok-ish for a month or two, and then the worm drive wears out, and gives crappy clutch control, difficult launches, snapped cables, it becomes harder etc...

So i prefer a hydraulic clutch. The TL1000R hydra clutch setup works on the TLS, so why not try it on the rap?

On the normal rap 1000, it's almost a straight swap: just buy the TLR clutch master cyl, slave cylinder, pushrod and sprocket cover, and bolt it on. You'll need a longer clutch line though. (ca. 10cm longer)

On the V-rap, it's a tad more complicated, because you haven't got the clearance to mount the TLR mastercylinder with solid reservoir underneath the V-rap 'horns'.

So i looked out on ebay for a clutch M/C with detached reservoir, with a hose, so i could mount that like i wanted to. I found a 2006 Aprilia RSV mille factory brembo radial clutch master cyl plus lever plus reservoir for 50 quid, and went ahead with the install.

Together with the 107cm long stainless clutch line, the install went very well, and i've got the best clutch setup i've ever had on any bike now: superlight, supersmooth, and very controlleable! More so, i won't have to adjust it anymore, and it won't fade or wear out over time 8)

woo-hoow!
cheers, Jan
Nice job Jan,
I've been lasy with fitting mine and its only doen to not having a bracket to hold the bottle and a long enough hose(Insert sexual jokes HERE )
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

some piccies 8)

edit: as you clearly can see, i've got a clutch master cylinder with 'bent lever mod' already done to it :lol:

oh, i've wired in the clutch switch as well, works fine.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Having had two worm gears and a new cable in the life of my V/normale :oops: I'm saving this thread - I can see that I might be needing it later :lol:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>