rear downpipe blowing

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
pickles

rear downpipe blowing

Post by pickles »

I have a 2000 model Raptor 1000 and just recently the bike has been popping on the over-run and sounding increasingly like a tractor! I whipped the exhaust off, and after the short stubby rear cylinder downpipe is a join which forms part of the collector and front downpipe. This appears to be sealed with a metal ring. I have cleaned and firegummed the assembly, put back together and all seemed fine for the first 150 miles or so. Now it's blowing again. The join at the rear downpipe doesn't seem to tighten up that well and the bogus metal ring just seems to have been designed by the ministry of crap design! Has anyone else had similar problems or know of a good fix? i love the bike to bits but this is starting to grate!
carnivore
On the Road

Post by carnivore »

I had exacly the same problem earlier this year, the only option is to buy a new gasket (the metal look colar thingy) that and a proper exaust clamp. the gasket was about 4 quid if i remember correctly. got a spare if you can't find one. :)
where's the bar?
pickles

Post by pickles »

I think I can get the gasket, but did you find the clamp didn't fit properly and the new one did?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in Pickles :)

The zorst gaskets are designed to crush up to fit so when anything loosens they tend to be an expendable item

Suzuki gaskets fit and are often easier to get hold of - the deep one's aren't quite as deep, but they do fit (and work) can't remember what clamps I got last time
- - really must write some of this stuff down when it happens, memory not what it was :cry:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

anybody know where that stupid metal ring should sit?

under or above the gasket?

i put a new gasket in there a couple of months ago, and it's blowing through already!
pickles

Post by pickles »

Although I started this thread, I have subsequently noticed it has been on before. There is an exploded view diagram of the system added by shebee on page 2 of this 1000 tech forum. It certainly helped me!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

This Post has the diagram

well spotted Pickles
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>