Oily muck

General spannery stuff
bikeron
On the Road

Oily muck

Post by bikeron »

Hi all,

Just got my second hand 650 raptor with only 9000 km on the clock. The previous owner lost the manual and I noticed an slight oily drip from a little hole on the front cylinderhead just above the cylinder on the right side of the bike. Again having no manual I was looking for a manual fuel crane and the way to remove the saddle.

Greetings from a verry sunny Belgium,
bikeron
bikeron

4 wheels are 2 to many
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

If the 650 is made the same as the 1000 then the oily drip will be from the cooling setup - there's a seal between the water and the oil cooling system at the top right of the engine and any problem with that seal will cause water (with added oil) to drip out of a seep hole. (new seal needed probably)

Again if they're the same, the saddle lock will be found in the undertray straight up from the left side pillion peg.

hth

Welcome in by the way :twisted:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
bikeron
On the Road

Post by bikeron »

snapdragon wrote:If the 650 is made the same as the 1000 then the oily drip will be from the cooling setup - there's a seal between the water and the oil cooling system at the top right of the engine and any problem with that seal will cause water (with added oil) to drip out of a seep hole. (new seal needed probably)

- Thanks I will keep a sharp eye on it!

Again if they're the same, the saddle lock will be found in the undertray straight up from the left side pillion peg.

- Thanks dude!

hth

Welcome in by the way :twisted:
bikeron

4 wheels are 2 to many
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

Hi Bikeron,

greetings from Belgium as well 8)

Snap is right, if it is anything like the TL1000 engine (which it probably will be), then it is indeed coolant/oil seeping from the weep hole. This hole is there to prevent oil mixing with water if any of the seals break down. The oily muck simply comes out then.

The repair is fairly easy. If you're used to wrking on your bike, it will be no problem. It involves most probably emptying the oil and coolant, taking off the engine cover, taking off the impeller of the waterpump, and change all seals that are in there. Cost is less than 100 EUR for all seals and gaskets. Get your stuff from a suzuki dealer, because the cagiva dealer will not have these in stock, and it will take lots of time to order them.

if you do a search on tlzone.net for 'weep hole' or 'waterpump seal', you will find a lot of threads on this subject. There's maybe some good info on the SV650 boards as well.

good luck!
Jan
Gent
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

ow yeah,

there is no fuel crane. The raptor comes with a warning light that starts to blink when you're on reserve, and goes solid when you're almost outta gas :wink:

If you continue on, you will find that the engine will start to stall under heavy braking, and if you still continu, you will be pushing your bike to the next gasstation in the blistering heat for many miles :lol: :lol:
bikeron
On the Road

Post by bikeron »

Thanks guys, I will take a closer look with your advice in mind :wink:
bikeron

4 wheels are 2 to many
bikeron
On the Road

Re: Oily muck

Post by bikeron »

Problem located! The vaccum gasoline valve under the gas tank is busted. Gas kept on running and the front carburator was flooded. Yesterday morning I found a wet gas smelly patch under the bike and the starter motor would not crank the engine. The front cylinder was completely filled with gasoline from the carbutator down.

I took the carburators off and as soon as I disconnected the fuel hose the gas was gushing out. Yes the vaccum fuel valve is broken.

The bike had only run two times last year and the low milage on the clock ( 8900 km on 6 years ) made me suggest that it would be gas residue in the valve that causes the malfunction. I cleaned the floater and floater valve of the front carburator but did not see something degrading there. It had to be malfunctioning to. Out of safety I will change the oil and oil filter before running the engine again as I supect a downpour of gasoline via the piston.

Problem, the valve is nowhere in stock and has to come from Italy. Since this valve is used by many scooter and bike brands in Italy I will try my luck in any of the many scootershops in the neighborhood.

Hope to get that bike purring soon.

[quote="bikeron"]Hi all,

Just got my second hand 650 raptor with only 9000 km on the clock. The previous owner lost the manual and I noticed an slight oily drip from a little hole on the front cylinderhead just above the cylinder on the right side of the bike. Again having no manual I was looking for a manual fuel crane and the way to remove the saddle.
bikeron

4 wheels are 2 to many
pod
On the Road

650 fuel tap

Post by pod »

Unlucky with the vac operate fuel tap.
Perhaps you could fit a manual fuel tap in the fuel line until a new spare arrives?
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
bikeron
On the Road

Re: 650 fuel tap

Post by bikeron »

pod wrote:Unlucky with the vac operate fuel tap.
Perhaps you could fit a manual fuel tap in the fuel line until a new spare arrives?
Cheers
Pod
Hi Pod,

I came to the same conclusion and asked around in three shops today, and no manual tap to be found. Seems the present bikes and mopeds have the thing build in the tank. I can find some on the net but it normally takes a week to get here and the Cagiva dealer says the tap is available in Italy and takes also a week to arrive. The cost is only 13.48 euro so that is not bad. I still have a four wheeler to get by but it is not the same :(

I will change sparkplugs and replace the oil and oil filter while I wait. Seems the electricals are not very well protected, even the rear light intetants are not covered. You can see the blulb fitting looking naked from under the seat. So while I wait for the tap to arrive I will make major use of heat shrink isolation a lot of ty raps and make a plastic cover for the tail light socket plus replace the Headlight bulb with a blue high grade cousin :lol: I have even seen a Xenon conversion for the Raptor, maybe I feel tempted... :D

Tomorrow I go and visit a bikeshop as they have reserved me a Givi windscreen to see if it will fit the bike as it is a universal type and coloured in Suzuki SV blue. I hope the colour will match my Raptor.

Greetz
bikeron

4 wheels are 2 to many
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

As you said, definitely change the oil and filter before you run it again. Well done on finding the problem! :D
pod
On the Road

650 lectrics

Post by pod »

My 650 has done many miles in the wet with no probs.
My headlamp wires chafed through and I replaced the three wires with extended sections spliced in.
The rear lamp contacts get a coat of vaseline (contact jelly)
The speedo connection block behind the rear of the fuel tank got crappy, the speedo gave poor readin, cleaned it and added contact jelly works OK now, have done the same to all junction blocks as a safe guard.
Most of the lectrics are good quality, Ive replaced the battery once, and one rear lamp bulb, otherwise no hassles.
I think your bike suffered from lack of use.
ood luck
Pod
Stay calm.
bikeron
On the Road

Post by bikeron »

I got lucky today :!:

I could find a simular fuel tap at a scootershop. Put it in, changed the oil and oil filter and screwed in new spark plugs. After 15 seconds the pussy was purring nicely. Got my vacuum gauges and synchronised the carbs to perfection. Me happy :D

Tomorrow I will mount a blue halogen headlight bulb an screw on a Givi windscreen. After this... a nice extensive cleaning job. Next week new tyres and the bike is finished, ready to hopefully collect a lot of kilometers on the road. Mind you, i'm still looking for a nice sounding exhaust.

I have a lot of candles burning on the mantlepiece for a lovely sunny summer :lol:

Job done :!:
bikeron

4 wheels are 2 to many
pod
On the Road

congrats

Post by pod »

Nice one ron

The screen is a good thing, I got an extra 5 miles to the tank full when I fitted mine.
Have good look at the rear brake pedal pivot, it collects crap and can seize up.
Have a blast
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
bikeron
On the Road

Post by bikeron »

Thanks for the tip Pod :!: I will take a regular check-up on the rear break arm pivot. For the time it is as clean a a wistle :P Funny how things I learned at school 33 years ago and did not practice for 30 of them are still in your brain :roll:

In the mean time it has started to rain again :evil: Sunday is an outing with the dogs too te racetrack at Beringen where they can run. Yes they are pure racing machines :lol:

See ya
bikeron

4 wheels are 2 to many
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

good going Ron, glad you found and fixed the problem so quickly 8)