Handle Bars or Risers

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Slob
On the Road

Handle Bars or Risers

Post by Slob »

G'day
Not being as flexible as I used to be..... I find I'm getting sore wrists/pins & needles in the fingers after long rides on my Rapator 1000. Has anyone who has had the same problem (sports bike wrist/death-like grip?) gone down the road of changing the standard handle bars or fitting risers to alter the steering posture? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I think there are a few who have fitted renthals of various types??
Miz
On the Road

Wrist Ache

Post by Miz »

If you are getting wrist ache you must be riding too slow..... :lol:
152/999
Slob
On the Road

Post by Slob »

Thank you for the info. I will check out some Renthal bars. I've been told that, as the handle bar mounting pedestals are cast into the top triple clamp, it's near impossible (read: bloody expensive) to come up with an easy way to raise the bars short of having a whole new clamp machined from scratch. I wonder idf anyone has had this done?

As far as riding too slow...alas, the roads in Oz are mainly crap. There are certainly more pleasant ways of getting sore wrists than a long day on Aussie highways. B roads.....? off-roaders are the best solution.

Cheers
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I dont have the raptor here to check but can you not use something like these...

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=523324

Oh and with the roads round here Im wondering about fitting trials tyres to mine!

8)
Miz
On the Road

Bars

Post by Miz »

Or like these

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=501657

Or go for "Ace Bars" and turn them over and around

Miz.
152/999
deekay
On the Road

Post by deekay »

Mate been working out bush for the last year or so and have not logged on as often as I could/should. Being a big fat over 55 type had the same issue. Bought a pair of rentals but cabling and controls will not fit if you go much higher. I found a set with plenty of rise but also long in the flat areas where controls attatch, a bit dirtbike ish. I then cut these short so cables and controls fitted without getting increased idle on turning the bars, now good, no sore wrists and accomodating for my girth cos fat pricks need to go fast too.
to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

I fitted Renthal ultra lows to my X-rap, mainly for cosmetic reasons but they are very slightly higher than standard and therefore more comfortable. You do have to be careful with X and V-raps as the horn limit the height you can go, as do the cable lengths for any model..

You could also try something like these, model 420603.....

http://www.jwmotorcycles.com/customparts/risers.html#

regards....
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.