Best Engine Oil?

General spannery stuff
Bfef
On the Road

Best Engine Oil?

Post by Bfef »

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best engine oil for the bike please?

One of the last owners helpfully lost the toolkit and owner's handbook for my '01 Raptor 1000.

I donwloaded the workshop manual but all it says is 3.1 litres of API SF/SG or SAE 10W/40.

I guess fully synthetic is recommended? Any particular brand known to work best with the Suzuki lump?

Edited to add: Also, change it at 3600 miles or every 6 months - seems very regular!

Many thanks as always.......
snapdragon

Re: Best Engine Oil?

Post by snapdragon »

I haven't worked it out by how many months but this is what I've been doing with mine for seven years
Semi Synth
Every 2000 miles or as near as (recommended by Suzuki for the engine)
And a new filter (hi-flo138 or equivalent i think)
Any reputable make will do it, regular changes in my mind are more important than the label on the can

I used Putoline for years but my local supplier closed, currently have something from halfrauds because that was all that was available but have a large can Mobil super S for the next change or three.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

I don't think it matters that much as long as you use a good quality oil and a new filter each time. I even used castrol GTX magnatec once ... made no difference apart from saving me about £15 off the bike shop oil.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

i use shell fully synthetic but only because i can get it cheap i change it once a year before i got cheap oil i always swore by halfords semi :lol:
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Bfef, for years I used Shell VSX4 semi syn. in my Ducati's as recommended (sponsored). I was told Mobil 1 full syn. was the best so I used that for quite a while including in my Raptor. I am now using Motul 5100 semi syn. cos I've been told that's the best. In all honesty I could never tell any difference in engine performance or anything else. Any good quality oil that meets specifications and is changed on a regular basis I think is the best advice.

Another thing I have been doing over the years to all my bikes (and cars) is to use a magnetic sump plug. I also place magnets around the oil filter as well, might be overkill but remember bike engine oil unlike cars also cools and lubricates the clutch and gearbox. There are much more metallic components in contact which shed micro particles as they wear which the filter may not trap.

Regards, zorro
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

i've used Motul 300V full synth in all my bikes the last couple of years...expensive, but it feels right :)

and it smells wonderfully, and it is green!!! :D

Any good quality oil will do, as long as you change regularly, and stick to whatever type of oil you put in there first (semi-synth, stick with semi-synth....full synth, stick with full-synth)

Most of my bikes have seen 60.000 miles without any problem. I change at around 2000-2500 miles, because i do a lot of very short commutes, and the oil degrades faster.