Crash Protectors

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Crash Protectors

Post by RaptorJo »

Advice needed on which crash protectors to get, I've seen cheap ones £30ish or dear ones £80ish. What have peeps got on their's? cheers
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

I looked at the cheap ones and thought long and hard about them, but noticed that the right-hand one pushes down on the bottom radiator hose, whereas the R&G bungs are undercut to clear the hose. My thought was that, knowing the rads aren't the most resiliant of units any undue pressure on the hose wasn't a good thing. So, I paid the extra £30 and ordered some R&G bungs, which I'm now awaiting delivery....
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

ive got the r&g bungs the only thing they aren't small they are quite big but should do a good job in a crash i don't want to test them tho
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

R&G and tested :oops: - they do work :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Brendan1983
On the Road

Post by Brendan1983 »

I've got some of the one's from ebay - from Estonia, and yep they work :)

And they look good too.

Mine are the same as ebay item 220292103101 - they guy will make pretty much what ever you want.

Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Got lsl mushrooms on mine, look nice (not tested yet..phew 8) )
No bike is ever finished!
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks guys, i've put my order in for R&G they seem to be the fav. Lets hope I don't use them!
Red Mist
On the Road

Re: Crash Protectors

Post by Red Mist »

I've just put some R&G crash bungs on my bike. The right hand one is cut away but still fouls the radiator hose. The water can still pass, but the hose is crimped slightly. Has anybody else run their bike like this? I don't want to impair the reliability of my bike, but the roads are awful grimy at the moment and I want to have something on there in case the bike goes over.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

If you're anywhere near them the R&G lads will skim them down for you - they did mine as I got them fitted at their workshop
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I'll have a go at altering them myself. I've got various tools of mass destruction primed and ready to go. 'Skimming' probably isn't the appropriate word but I'd rather lose a bit of bobbin than risk the cooling system.
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

I fiited the cheaper ones off ebay and the right hand one was touching the Rad hose.
I made a short bracket about 10mm long out of stainless steel left over from Scottoiler kit. I fitted the bracket to the bottom rad mount moving the rad forward at the bottom and the hose cleared the crash bung. I could not see any draw backs doing this as there is no strain or clearance problems anywhere.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

I know this is an old thread now, but R&G do sell direct on ebay as well at the same price as the no brand stuff see: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0488838503 for Raptor specific protectors and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/randgracing for their shop with bar ends etc.