Gear change oil seal

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Treffynnon
On the Road

Gear change oil seal

Post by Treffynnon »

Has anybody changed the gear change oil seal. I cannot for the life of me get the Suzuki part I ordered to drive home. Are the Cagivas running a slightly different case? Seems highly unlikely, but...
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Gear change oil seal

Post by shedmonkey »

Not done this seal but seals are a pain , use grease and line up seal very carefully and tap in square using a socket on outside edge. :rant: check numbers on the seal if they are same then it is or take it down to local bearing supplier.
Bit of a Muppet
Treffynnon
On the Road

Re: Gear change oil seal

Post by Treffynnon »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoNot done this seal but seals are a pain , use grease and line up seal very carefully and tap in square using a socket on outside edge. :rant: check numbers on the seal if they are same then it is or take it down to local bearing supplier.
Unfortunately the old seal was so badly damaged I can't read the numbers, but the dimensions on the OEM site are the same as the genuine Suzuki part except for the ID, which is 1mm larger apparently (don't think this can be the case as the shaft fits he seal perfect).

I also asked the same question on TLZone and I think Sam over there managed to work it out. The metal ring from inside the current seal is still jammed in there. It is so well jammed that I mistook it for a lip that was part of the cover!! :doh: