shes not staying hot

General spannery stuff
craigus
On the Road

shes not staying hot

Post by craigus »

having trouble with the rap staying at the right temp , I dont have this trouble in the warmer seasons only in the winter, she warms up with the choke on fine i let the revs build up then off with the choke and set upon my way to work but within 1/2 mile or so she is jumping and surging at 3000 revs .
I have tested the anti freeze to make sure ive not put to much in and a bit baffled as to what else i can do :( anyone got any suggestions
snapdragon

Re: shes not staying hot

Post by snapdragon »

What temp do you warm her up to Craigus?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

about 80c ish
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

How far do you ride to work?

Have you thought about shielding part of the radiator to allow the bike to warm up quicker/easier.

Have you checked that the clutch is adjusted correctly? If there is too much free play in the clutch lever the switch can operate whilst you are riding changing the mapping between start and run modes.
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

hmm I do have a silver rad-wrap somewhere, originally intended for a mito

thinking about it the 3000 glitch has always been there, I just work around it, but it may have been more noticeable in winter, she cooled down but my ride to work was only seven miles so no real problems
SnappY
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

hi miz work is only a 10min journey but ive got a hydrolic clutch conversion with a zxr clutch assembly and the terminals are exposed to the elements so i think id better check them make sure they havent gone a bit green , failing that how do you part cover the rad and where or how would you get it to stay on without damaging it..
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

craigus wrote:failing that how do you part cover the rad and where or how would you get it to stay on without damaging it..
I cut down a bit of 5 bar tread plate and curved it a bit, then just used massive cable ties to keep it in place. Tbh i keep it on all year round, it covers about a third of the rad. Maybe some pics of it on here, i'll look around. It has stopped the jumping around, although went out on saturday and it was only 2degrees and it did a bit of complaining then, but then again so did I :lol:

edit to ad pic, where you can just about see it :D
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

couple of strips of gaffa tape ?

the rad-wrap fixes with velcro
SnappY
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

So craigus is there a switch on your clutch lever? if not it might be staying on neutral map.
Bit of a Muppet
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

yes there is a switch which ive got wired up , ive given the terminals a good clean and swapped the two wires around , dont know if that will make a difference but the bike seems to start ok , i will find out tomorrow when i go to work .
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

craigus wrote:yes there is a switch which ive got wired up , ive given the terminals a good clean and swapped the two wires around , dont know if that will make a difference but the bike seems to start ok , i will find out tomorrow when i go to work .

Ah, but does the bike still start if you leave the clutch lever alone?

It should only start if you pull the clutch lever in.
152/999
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

i havent tried to be honest , ill give a go in the morning and report back
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

Tried starting the bike today without pulling the clutch in and nothing ,so it looks like the switch is fine and the problem lies with the rad ,so im going to have to make a plate and cover a 1/3 of the rad and see what happens .
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

As a test you can cover the rad with almost anything so long as it stops the air from passing through the rad, if it's dry try cardboard and gaffer tape (or just gaffer tape).
152/999
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

covered the rad with gaffer tape and seemed to work and i have now got some ali sheet so im going to make a part rad cover but the question is does it have to go across the width or can i cover two strips down the sides of the rad im guessing it doesnt matter as long as about 1/3 is covered..