Chain & Sprockets

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Dodge
On the Road

Chain & Sprockets

Post by Dodge »

Hi Gang,
Before the sun comes out and the silly season begins (ahh memories! Sunshine, dry roads, warm weather, going like fook with that vee twin roar in yer ears, bliss!!!), it's time to fit a new chain and sprocket kit to my Rappy thou' (MOT due early March). I know there are kits available out there, but I was wondering if anyone has discovered whether sprockets from other bikes also fit the Rap?
I realise that TL front sprockets are the same but what about the rear?

Cheers

Dodge
40 years a biker,..........and still a twat!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cagiva Raptor 1000, GSXR 7/12 Slingshot Streetfighter, Granada Cosworth
Miz
On the Road

Re: Chain & Sprockets

Post by Miz »

I just generally order my sprockets from B&C Express
152/999
leven1785
On the Road

Post by leven1785 »

I am going to try this firm for my chain and sprockets next time. GB MOTORCYCLES tel. 0114 245 9912, the owner is called DARREN. I was helping out on the THUNDERSPRINT stand at the Manchester Bike Show, their stand was next to ours. Seems like a genuine seller who knows his product and very cheap at £79.95 for a Gold X ring chain and sprocket kit.
Haven't used their products so can't talk from personal experience but I am going to give them a go.
Might be worth a punt, he was adamant that his products are not the cheap tat that is being sold on ebay for similar money. He is not online / ebay just telephone sales.
Any feedback would be good.
Cheers Scott............ :thumbsup:
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I have found that looking for stuff for the Rap seems to bring a premium as its seen as "italian exotica" so search and ask for chain thats the correct size and no.of links and you will probably find it cheaper. Many other bikes use exactly the same size and spec chain. Even if its a bit longer and a bargain it dont matter as its easy to pop off a link or two!

Obviously sprockets are a bit of a differant matter although the front is identical to many Suzuki`s and I`m unsure if the rear has other applications.
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I was told the rear sprocket was the same as a hyabusa - but it's 1mm smaller internal diam. :angry: (bought it, returned it)
chain and front sprocket are easy to acquire just the rear that seems to be :doh:

had four (or maybe five) so far - mainly from B&C express as Miz linked
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

leven1785 wrote:55 years agoI am going to try this firm for my chain and sprockets next time. GB MOTORCYCLES tel. 0114 245 9912, the owner is called DARREN. I was helping out on the THUNDERSPRINT stand at the Manchester Bike Show, their stand was next to ours. Seems like a genuine seller who knows his product and very cheap at £79.95 for a Gold X ring chain and sprocket kit.
Haven't used their products so can't talk from personal experience but I am going to give them a go.
Might be worth a punt, he was adamant that his products are not the cheap tat that is being sold on ebay for similar money. He is not online / ebay just telephone sales.
Hi Scott, i "bought" a chain/sprocket set from Darren at the NEC show in November (£95 including a £40 riveting kit).
He didn't have the Raptor sprockets (obviously,lol) so arranged to post the whole lot on to me the next week.
....................... i'm still waiting :(
Every time i call he tells me there's a problem with the suppliers, he's tried another supplier and they let him down etc...
When i rang him (again) this week i was told if they still didn't have any luck by friday he would order me a renthal sprocket "at no extra cost". -------- Time will tell. :angry:
See you at the sprint :ride:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Dodge
On the Road

Post by Dodge »

It was the sprockets I was interested in mainly, as mentioned, soon as you look for parts for the less than main stream Raptor, the price seems to go up!
I was wondering if anyone has found that sprockets from a more common (read boring!) "Kawayamazuki" also fit the Rap as the price could be keener. It's not that i'm tight but I hate paying for eff all :) !!

Cheers,
Dodge
40 years a biker,..........and still a twat!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cagiva Raptor 1000, GSXR 7/12 Slingshot Streetfighter, Granada Cosworth
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

weirdo wrote:55 years ago
leven1785 wrote:55 years agoI am going to try this firm for my chain and sprockets next time. GB MOTORCYCLES tel. 0114 245 9912, the owner is called DARREN. I was helping out on the THUNDERSPRINT stand at the Manchester Bike Show, their stand was next to ours. Seems like a genuine seller who knows his product and very cheap at £79.95 for a Gold X ring chain and sprocket kit.
Hi Scott, i "bought" a chain/sprocket set from Darren at the NEC show in November (£95 including a £40 riveting kit).
He didn't have the Raptor sprockets (obviously,lol) so arranged to post the whole lot on to me the next week.
....................... i'm still waiting :(
Every time i call he tells me there's a problem with the suppliers, he's tried another supplier and they let him down etc...
When i rang him (again) this week i was told if they still didn't have any luck by friday he would order me a renthal sprocket "at no extra cost". -------- Time will tell. :angry:
See you at the sprint :ride:
Finally got sorted with GB motorcycles...
Chain, front sprocket, riveting kit, .... and a cheque for £20 arrived the other day.
I'll be checking the site that Dodge mentions on another thread for the rear sprocket.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

If there is only a mil difference on rear sprocket bore(are hole centers the same) with hiyabusa is it not worth giving the sprocket carrier a skim, then no more problems.
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoIf there is only a mil difference on rear sprocket bore(are hole centers the same) with hiyabusa is it not worth giving the sprocket carrier a skim, then no more problems.
:blink: I don't have that sort of technology :oops: or the skills to do it :|
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>