45 K service

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
superaptor
On the Road

Re: 45 K service

Post by superaptor »

valve clearance check at 30k and 45k? are we suppose to check for valve clearances that soon or am i getting it all wrong? can someone please clarify this before i break a valve? thanks
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

My 650 is 2008 ie, the manuals says tappets play adjust every 24.000 kms...
It's all greek to me....
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

as far as I can recall my valves/shims have been checked twice - 30k and 60k and in that time one shim at 30k was needed, i guess I should get her fully checked shortly

currently saving up so I can pay for the 'full service' :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
superaptor
On the Road

Post by superaptor »

Ευχαριστώ Vassilis and Snap. i think i will get mine checked after a whole world spin on the equator ... does anybody remember at what milage you changed ur stock front and rear brake pads?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

hold on superraptor - mine's a 1000
sorry - that'll teach me to look before posting :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

superaptor wrote:55 years agovalve clearance check at 30k and 45k? are we suppose to check for valve clearances that soon or am i getting it all wrong? can someone please clarify this before i break a valve? thanks
If you are worried about them then check them, would it matter if you had to check your clearances every 5k? It only becomes an issue if you have to adjust them every time you check them.

I have just done mine at around 20k, I have changed 4 shims and the ones taken out are the originals (at the factory they use odd sizes, dealers only use shims in .05mm increments).
152/999
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

All done, two days ago it was WARM and sunny ( no sunshine at all for the previous 6 weeks) for February, went for a shakedown spin, strange clunk from top of front end.
Found a slack LHS top pinchbolt, mirrors out of whack , balanced the carbs (the adjuster seems a little too free, I may add a spot of glue to it), changed the ile.
Usual wee bits of clutch friction plate specks in the white enamel oil pan, same every time.
Next spin , yee hah , all good and even some dry bits of shell grip at the Achnacloich bends.
Back brake seems a bit wooden, not spongy but not grippy either, right leg needing re-calibrated possibly.
Alloy rear sprocket holding up well fro the past 5K or so , chain still has loads of life ( Scottoiler , yeah).
Hope that freezing stuff stays away, theres still loads of salty crap on the roads.
Nice to get out , looking forward to Spring.
Stay calm.