Stupid bearing question

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Stupid bearing question

Post by RaptorJo »

The regulars on here know I like my daft questions, here goes another one. :D

I'm having to get my wheels done as the rear is not sealing on the rim properly.

My daft question(s) is : I am going to replace the bearings as they will probably get damaged while we try and get them out (having never done it before) Is it a bearing either side of the wheel? Do I buy a pair for front and rear? are they different for each side or the same?

Remember now........laymens terms please and a pointer to a website with exactly what I need to buy would be great :D

Thankyou :thumbsup:
weirdo
On the Road

Re: Stupid bearing question

Post by weirdo »

The front wheel bearings are 25mm x 47mm x 12mm, one each side.

The rear wheel bearings are 30mm x 55mm x 13mm, one each side.

There's also a bearing in the sprocket carrier, i'm not sure of the size 'cos i didn't need to change it. It's probably the same as it runs on the same 30mm spindle.

Remember to mark on the tubular spacer (that runs through the centre) which side is which (sprocket/disc) as one end is machined to fit so far into the bearing. The other end butts up to the other bearing.

If you google bearing suppliers you shouldn't have a problem getting what you need.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... 564#p24543
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Remember to get 2rs bearings ,which means fitted with a seal each side to keep crud out and hold grease in. :nod:
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

and remembering that there is No stupid question if it's one to which you require an answer :nod:

no saying there won't be stupid answers though :wink: I seem to recall someone saying that some Rappys have four bearings in the rear depending on build date - but that could be me mis-remembering :blush:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoand remembering that there is No stupid question if it's one to which you require an answer :nod:

no saying there won't be stupid answers though :wink: I seem to recall someone saying that some Rappys have four bearings in the rear depending on build date - but that could be me mis-remembering :blush:
It wouldn't be the first time that I've come across 3 in a rear wheel - and on at least one bike, I modified the rear wheel to take an extra bearing on the sprocket side to spread the load.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Araf wrote:55 years ago
snapdragon wrote:55 years agoand remembering that there is No stupid question if it's one to which you require an answer :nod:
no saying there won't be stupid answers though :wink: I seem to recall someone saying that some Rappys have four bearings in the rear depending on build date - but that could be me mis-remembering
It wouldn't be the first time that I've come across 3 in a rear wheel - and on at least one bike, I modified the rear wheel to take an extra bearing on the sprocket side to spread the load.
Yup :nod: - having a scoot back through the forum I found 'twas I that had four :?

So 2001 V has four. But other years (or maybe the Normale) have two the same in the axle and one heavy duty in the sprocket (?)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Trying to cheat my way out of this and have had it buffed and sanded and the tyre reseated, liquid soap and summat else I can't remember, wheel now back on. So fingers crossed it'll stop leaking. If not, when I take it apart for a respray I'll add to how many bearings a 2000 naked has :)